Saturday, October 6, 2007

Ben Franklin Quilt Fest

Today my Mom, Grandma, Aunt Kitty and I went out to Ben Franklin in Oconomowoc to their quilt fest. I wasn't expecting it to be a full on quilt show but it was within the asiles of the store. What was disappointing to me was all of the "no pictures allowed" signs. I love looking at pictures of others quilts. Even if I never intend to make one similar, I might find them inspirational, I might like the color concept, I might like the pattern, I might look at them as what I don't ever want to do. It's not like I would ever try to pass someone else's quilt off as my own and if that's what people are worried about then they need a life.

My Aunt Kitty bought a really cute print to make valances for her Grandbaby who will be born in November. I bought a panel out of the same line to make a baby quilt for the baby. I'm not sure how I'm going to construct it yet. I think this baby will be getting two quilts from me. This kid is going to go through life very warm since she has a cousin that loves to quilt and a Grandma that is learning to quilt. I picked up Flannel Backings for two baby quilts and a snowflake pattern.

I was surprised at how much fabric Ben Franklin carried. I hadn't been out there in about 7 years and was shocked at a lot of the similar lines that are in our local quilt stores. It's definitely going to be a place that I'd like to go back to one of these days when it isn't so busy.

We also stopped at Bits & Pieces. I bought some really cute frog fabric that I'll make a Yellow Brick Road baby quilt out of. I don't have a clue on who this one will be for but the fabric was too cute to pass up.

The air here today was so muggy. It was also an ozone action day. I can't believe that it's the 6th of October and it hit 90 degrees today. I wasn't breathing too good so I came home and took a nap. After Mike made us a yummy dinner of Bacon Wrapped Fillets I worked on my Bargello and got half done with the second section.

Oh, and I don't know what possessed me to do it, but I uploaded our wedding album to my Webshots. Don't feel obligated to go look...it's super boring stuff!! I really can't believe that it's been 6 years.

4 comments:

Gina said...

No pictures, I've never heard of that before. I'm like you jen, I like to look at pics of quilts after the event. sometimes there are so many quilts at an exhibition that you don't take it all in. It's only afterwards when you look through your photos that you can really appreciate the quilts
love and hugs xxx

jillquilts said...

UGH!!! How is Webshots working for you??? I can't even get it to upload pictures for me. :(

That sucks that they wouldn't let you take pictures. Some people have way too much time on their hands to be worried about things like that!

Nancy said...

I have heard of the "no pictures" situation at quilt shows, but what a disappointment. Are they going to put the pictures of the quilts into a book or something - doubtful, but otherwise why would it matter? Just seems quite unreasonable to me!

Moneik said...

That's too bad that you couldn't take pictures. I always remember what I like when I take a picture. I don't do it to steal their ideas or patterns either. Glad you had a good time. Our Ben Franklins has some really good, reasonably priced fabric too.