Friday, October 19, 2007

Stupid Monofiliment Thread

I finally decided to attack my Halloween Wall hanging before Halloween comes and goes. I had the intricate parts cut out; only needed to cut out the moon and iron it all down. It's just way too intricate to be appliqueing around. Last year I did a really in depth Halloween Wall hanging and it took forever. I love it, but man did it take the time. I wanted something quick & dirty yet cool at the same time. So I decided to stipple over the entire top. Between that and the heat and bond I should be all set. I had monofilliment in the top and bobbin because I didn't want to have to worry about peekaboo's. And really, I can't even say it's the monofilliments fault...it's user error. I was stippling along nicely when I ran out of bobbin thread. I refilled the bobbin and started stippling again...never checking to see how I was doing on the back. Crap. I did 3/4ths of it with my tension down at ZERO. I always manage to knock the tension knob with the grippies on my quilting gloves and don't notice it. I sat and ripped it all out and just finished re-stippling it. I like the way it looks despite all the extra holes. So much for quick and dirty! Oh well...it's done and it DOES look cool.


The picture is a bit blurry. I had to take it with Mike's camera because my batteries are deader than door nails. I'll have to pick some up before I leave for Iowa tomorrow.






The pattern is called Haunted Hill and I bought the pattern and fabric kit through Keepsake Quilting.


Tomorrow night I'll put the binding on and I'll create the binding for my bargello and Turning Twenty Again quilts. I ran to Joann's tonight with my mom to get some unbleached muslin to put on the back of the Turning Twenty Again quilt. Tomorrow I'll run to Patched Works after work to get a backing for the Bargello. I want something nice...that's a first for me because I'm all about using muslin!! Hopefully I'll get packed up before I go to bed so that right after my Gracie class I can hit the road to Iowa.


Ok, it's late. I'm off to bed.

9 comments:

Kristie said...

I love your wallhanging. It looks like it would have been hard to cut all of that out. I tried to use monofiliment thread in my machine once and it ended up a mess. But then again, I didn't take the time to reset my tension. I actually ended up using it by handquilting a quilt for Hunter. It is his "Horsey Quilt" the quilting still looks great but the quilt has holes worn in it from him dragging it everywhere.

I can't wait to see your two quilts finished. don't forget when you get them done, just throw them in the mail to me...
Kristie

Gina said...

I love your quilt. Where did the pattern come from or did you just make it up.
I don't like using monofilament much. It's a case of grinning and bearing it.

love and hugs xxxx

jillquilts said...

Don't you mean your 'bat-trees- were dead? he he

That looks awesome! Bummer about having to rip out due to tension issues. I hate when that happens!

Moneik said...

I love the wall hanging! It's so way cute and looks like it was challenging too. I am the worst at checking my back. I could be completely done and not have checked the back. Usually my tension problem is from resting my knee on the lift. Have a great time in Iowa. I can't wait to see the finished quilts. I don't use muslin for many backings, but I do plan to use it for my tablerunners. I need to get the back for my black and white finished so I can baste it at the sewing slumber party.

Michelle said...

It looks great. Bring it with you so I can see it up close. I can tell it is texture-ee, but can't see the quilting. I have only dealt with monofilament about once, and it kept running away from me before I ever got it on the machine, so never messed with it again.

Rose Marie said...

Whew ... good thing you did a stipple overall, otherwise you would still be sewing on this until next Halloween. Love the tip about the labels.

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

Wow now I can't wait to see it up close and personal. Great job.

Suzan said...

Jen - I could have sworn that when I read your blog this morning the language was completely different! :)

The wallhanging is very pretty...even if the monofiliment gave you fits!

Maureen said...

Great job on the wallhanging...now I should pull mine out and start it but I have to quilt the other one I finished (the one with the pumpkins and cat with a mask - the paper pieced one).

Have fun in Iowa!

Maureen