Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween

Well, I thought I had come up with the perfect Halloween costume until I got home from work and started putting it together. Mike thought it was the stupidest costume ever. Since I was "Running with Scissors," he wanted to know if that was my Indian name. You know, ala Dances with Wolves and Stands with a Fist; etc. Sigh. So maybe it was just funny to me and no one else will own up and tell me.

I didn't get a picture of me or my mom in our costumes. Mom was a tomato pin cushion. She wore a red sweatshirt, lots of safety pins with threads hanging off and a red head band with a green bow tied on top to be tomato leaves. Here's the sign that I created for my costume.

So my idea with the sign was that I was a Runner (running with scissors) so it's supposed to be my marathon participant number. I was going to throw on my MACC Fund Ride number but I wasn't sure where I put it. I thought it turned out cute. I scammed the Bottom Line logo off the Superior Threads site to make them the "Marathon Sponsor." My number came from the fact that there's 1420 yards of thread on a spool of Bottom Line Thread. If I would have had a pink spool of Bottom Line thread I would have used a picture of that instead. I hung my number on my breast cancer laynard that I had received when I did the Breast Cancer Walk earlier this year. I also wore my T-Shirt from the walk and we can't forget my Pink Crocs. I carried Michelle's gold Jumbo Scissors. I think the scissors were the biggest hit, no one could believe they were real sissors!


Off to the Patched Works mom and I went for Caren's Completer Club. Mom and I finally learned to join the ends of binding without folding one edge under the other. Finally the nice diagonal seam that I've been hoping for! I'm pretty sure I'll be able to remember how it was done and do it again and again.


Julie the owner of Patched Works had the best costume that I think I've ever seen. She was a sock monkey in honor of the Moda Sock Monkey Fabric Line.



Julie's Mom, Teri was in a giant Moda Pillow case with a tiara. The Queen of Pillow Cases! How awesome is that? Oh, and ladies, I think I've decided for our Quilt Retreat we all should don Tiara's!!

I got the bindings put on both of Eli's Baby Quilts. Now they just need labels and they can be dropped off and love

The best part of the evening was that my mom's friend Karen stopped by to say hello. She knew where we were going to be because of my blog. She brought along her signature quilt. When she was going through Chemo everyone made a block and signed it. Mom and I had yet to see the quilt put together. It's georgeous! Sue did a fantastic job putting the top together and Chris's quilting was great. It was sooooo good to see Karen. =)

3 comments:

Kristie said...

Sounds like you had a nice time. I'm sure you two looked great. I love the sock monkey!
Kristie

Moneik said...

Wow I bet you guys were so cute! Glad to hear you learned how to do bindings. Mom learned a new way and she wants to try it on the table runners, so we'll see. I really don't mind doing them the way we do because they turn out right every time.

jillquilts said...

I wish that you had gotten pictures of you and your mom! But I love the monkey costume! That would be perfect for me! And the quilts turned out to be so cute!