Tuesday, October 2, 2007

On this day in 1919

My Grandma was born! Here are some fun things from that day:

Oct 2 - Pres Woodrow Wilson suffers a stroke
Top Songs for 1919
Peggy by Harry Williams
Dardanella by Fred Fisher
Ask the Stars by Frank Stammers
Indian Summer by Victor Herbert
Letter Song by William Lebaron
Swanee by Irving Caesar
My Isle of Golden Dreams by Gus Kahn
The Lamplit Hour by Thomas Burke


US President - Woodrow Wilson
US Vice President - Thomas R. Marshall


Prices:
Bread: $0.10/loaf
Milk: $0.62/gal
Eggs: $0.38/doz
Car: $355
Gas: $0.25/gal
House: $5,626
Stamp: $0.03/ea
Avg Income: $1,125/yr
DOW Avg: 107

Hot New Toys in 1919
Pogo Stick, Raggedy Ann, Radio Flyer "Liberty Coaster", Lincoln Logs

Top Books in 1919
The American Language by H. L. Mencken
Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson


My Grandma turned 88 today. If you'd of asked me back in Feburary when she had her heart attacks if we'd be celebrating I would have been doubtful. I'm so glad she proved us all wrong! We had originally planned on going to a Mexican resturant until Monday night when my Grandma asked where we were going to eat. That's when she declared that she HATES Mexican food; just eats it because she doesn't want to complain. All righty then!! So we ended up at the same Greek Resturant that we went to last year for her birthday.

Now, last year on her birthday there was a huge electrical storm and the resturant lost power. Lucikly our food was ready to come out of the kitchen so we were able to eat…in the dark! It was pretty funny over all.

We had dinner with my Grandma, Mom, Aunt Eileen & Uncle Ray, Uncle Bob, Aunt Kitty & Uncle Vern and cousin Keri. The thing that cracks me up with Greek Resturants is the ridiculous amount of food they give you and that every meal comes with Beer or Wine. I'm allergic to beer, and I don't do so well with wine either. I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to it but I gave up on wine before I had it all figured out. Why do these places have to throw in their line of, "well, it's free you should take it?" I don't care if it's free, I don't want it AND I don't want to have to smell it. The smell of cheap wine just goes right to my nostrals and burns. Lucky me had 3 glasses in front of me because no one wanted them.

I gave my Uncle Bob his quilt and he was really, really surprised and I think he really liked it. He's my kind of quilt person, had my Uncle Ray hold it up with him so he could get a better look at it. It coincidentially was his 69th birthday three days earlier which sparked my Uncle Ray to keep telling me that his 69th Birthday was next year so he wanted me to be sure I made his quilt. Sigh. It wasn't for Uncle Bob's birthday yet I seem to be the only person who realizes that.

Uncle Ray (left), Uncle Bob (right)


I stopped at home after dinner, before we went to Grandma's for cake so that I could show the differences between a fat quarter, charm pack, jelly roll, etc. I also showed off my Bargello. I've GOT to get working on that baby again. I took the ABC quilt to show my cousin Keri because I've decided I'm going to give it to her daughter Kassidy since she's at ABC learning age. I'm still working out the details of her Big Girl Quilt in my head. I want to use Dora the Explorer colors. So a purplish, orange, greenish blue? I think I'm going to have to take a picture of Dora with me to the store. I don't want to use Dora Fabric because it's always printed on the cheapest fabric that never gets soft no matter how many times you wash it. I'm also afraid that putting Dora on it will make it a "little kid" quilt as she gets older. Maybe I should re-visit the discussion of the quilt with Keri and see what her thoughts are. Yeah, that might be best.

Seeing Keri also reminded me that her and Ruth's due dates are right around the corner. I've got to get cracking on their baby quilts!! I've got most of the fabrics for them. Maybe I'll work on them this weekend at our Sunday Workday at Frank's.

My Aunt Kitty made this awesome cake. We all kept calling it a Canoli Cake, but I'm sure that's not it's real name. It sure was good!!!

Before we left I cut my Grandma's Project Linus strips into blocks for her so she could continue sewing. I think I cut up 7 kits for her!! She's a sewing machine.

3 comments:

Moneik said...

That's great that you made it for your uncle. Don't let it bother you that they all thought it was for his b-day. If he knows that's all that matters. I'm sure your grandma really appreciates all the work you put in to helping her with the cutting. You'll remember that when she's gone. You're lucky to be able to spend time with her.

Michelle said...

Jen,
Don't fret about Uncle Ray. He'll probably forget all about it by this time next year....and bless you for keeping GMA busy. She loves it, and like I said, you have given her a whole new lease on life. What I want to know is....don't you ever get tired?

Michelle said...

Oh yea, I forgot....no birthday party pictures? I want to see the birthday girl!!!!