Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Sewing Studio Procrastination

Boy, am I good at procrastinating. I don't know why I keep putting this room off. I WANT to get it done. I WANT to bring my frame home and I WANT to get sewing!

So, in all my procrastination I decided to work on a project that I've been wanting to do for a long time but now finally had a good way of accomplishing. Google has what they call, Google Docs & Spreadsheets. You can take a Word Document or an Excel Spreadsheet and upload them online or you can even start from scratch through their website. You can set up who can edit the sheet and who can all view the sheet.

The project that I worked on was creating a database of all the quilt books and patterns that I have. I got through the books, still need to do the individual patterns. I'm hoping that my Mom will add hers so that we know what each other has. If I decide to lend something out, I can put who has it and when they borrowed it.

We tried to do this years ago with a group of quilting friends but there just wasn't a good way to maintain it at the time. This on the other hand is perfect.


4 comments:

jillquilts said...

This is a great idea to do! I may end up doing this, too. But i have to finish recuperating! And get the insurance started on the car. Maybe after that...

Kristie said...

You are so organized. That is a great idea. You have alot of books and patterns. I have a ton but they are scattered everywhere.
Kristie

Nancy said...

This is a great idea to do - and one that I may copy sometime. In my case, the individual patterns will take a lot longer to list, though I probably have 60 or so books. Question, how to you keep your magazines? Do you tear out patterns you like and file with patterns or keep the magazines whole. You'd think that this former librarian would have a good answer for that, but I don't. I've thought of tearing them all out, indexing each issue, copying the table of contents of each one, etc. but haven't decided on which I want to do yet.

Moneik said...

Wow Jen! That sounds like an awesome thing to do. I think I'll try it and hopefully convince my mom to do it too. She has a ton of books. She is so getting a bookshelve for Christmas!