Thursday, October 18, 2007

Shopping for Fabric - How much yardage do I need?

The first time I used this particular tip that I'm about to share with you I thought my Mom was going to fall over from laughing at me. Not only did it work, it made the ladies at the cutting table quite happy.

You're shopping for fabric for a particular quilt. You need many different colors with many different yardages. You don't know what you want your borders or bindings to be yet so you're leaving these quick calculations until you hit the cutting table where you go back and forth on how much you should have them cut. This typically results in purchasing way too much fabric. At the dollar amount we're paying these days per yard, that's not really realistic. Sure, there's some fabrics you don't mind having in your stash but at the same time; not everything needs to be hanging around in your stash.

What I've started doing instead of just toting the pattern with me is taking blank address labels before my trip and writing on them the amount of yardage and the color. Or if I'm really oraganized I'll type them into a Word document and print them up. I can then stick my label onto the fabric and when I get up to the cutting counter there's no confusion on how much is needed from each bolt. My labels then stay right on the fabric so that when I go to make that particular project I know how much is there and what it's for.

I found this extremely helpful when pulling fabrics for an Art To Heart Reindeer Quilt. I had intended to make it right away. This was last winter and I still haven't gotten to it yet. I needed 3 different reds, 3 different greens, 3 different blues, browns, etc. My labels are still attached and when I finally do get the time to work on my quilt I won't have to wonder what colors were chosen for which parts.

9 comments:

vera said...

Jen, that's a good idea. I bet a lot of ladies use it now.

Michelle said...

That's awesome!!! Thank you!

Moneik said...

Jen that's an awesome idea! Why didn't I think of that? I'm the pattern bringer and I always end up with the exact amount and usually need more because I scrimp. Thanks for the amazing idea.

Anonymous said...

Jen,
Great Idea! Thanks!
Deb

Regina said...

What an awesome idea! My brain is already churning with ways to run labels through my printer with both my pattern name and the yardages on it so I can just keep an envelope of ready labels in my tote ready for the next big fabric sale!!!

jillquilts said...

This is a great idea! I usually have to write little notes to myself, but I am going to start carrying the labels with me at all times, just in case I have to stop in somewhere!

Lish said...

Jen... that's a great idea! I try to mark things when I bring them home if they are for a special project...but this idea saves me a step! Great idea!! thanks

Lish S

Suzan said...

You are one smart cookie! I forget everything so this is a great tip for me!

Maureen said...

Great idea..thanks for sharing!

Maureen