Sunday, October 21, 2007

Super Busy Sunday!

Started out a little later this morning. I woke up around 8 but then didn't hear any noises upstairs so I didn't think Michelle and Louie were up yet so I flipped through some quilt books for about a half hour. Then I realized I smelled coffee so I figured the HAD to be up. Yeah, not only were they up but they were both showered! I quick jumped in the shower myself and we headed out to breakfast. On the way we noticed a purse in the middle of the highway so Louie pulled over to pick it up. It looked like it was a purse of a teenage girl. So they called her phone number and left a message and then dropped it off at the Police Station so she could pick it up. We had breakfast and then headed back to start quilting.

Our quilting didn't start off on a good note. I think the whole set up hated me this morning!! Michelle and I worked on it for about an hour and a half. Ok, when I say we, I really mean Michelle worked on it and I looked at it wishing there was something I could do. But you know, when it's not your machine you just don't feel all that comfortable changing stuff around. Actually, I wouldn't have known what to do anyway! We did decide to use some Signature thread for the top instead of my other spool of Star brand because of the horrible time we had the day before. Eventually though everything worked out and once I started quilting I just went to town. On that big 102 x 102 quilt I used 5 bobbins full of Bottom Line. I love that stuff!!

While I was quilting Michelle was kind enough to hand sew the binding onto my Bargello. She pointed out that if I do want to enter it anywhere I'll get extra points for it being hand sewn. If I would have set out to hand sew it, I'd be working on that for the next 8 years! I can't thank her enough for doing that for me. It was a big job, that's for sure!

Oh, and I can't help but mention that Michelle was going to send me home with a cutting table for my sewing room. It didn't fit in my trunk. Talk about embarrassing...those of you who know me, know what I all have in my trunk! I probably have about 15 project linus quilts that need binding, about 5 bags of batting and then some miscellaneous stuff that ended up in there. Yeah, we had it all out on their driveway so we could give it a shot. Oh well, they'll bring it up when they come in November. AND the best part of that is that this BIG ASS DESK that we have can go into the storage locker. I was going to keep it in the room just because it is so darn sturdy and use it for cutting but it's really low so it wouldn't have been the best thing for my back. This is going to be perfect. Michelle also sent me home with a clippy light that I can clip onto the Machine Carriage on my Gracie frame. She ROCKS! We don't call her Thrift Store Junkie for nothing!

Once my Turning Twenty Again Quilt was off the frame, I sewed the binding onto it by machine while Michelle finished up the binding on the Bargello. Then we took some final pictures and I was on the road by 4:45 and pulled into my garage around 8pm. It was a really nice and easy ride home too. Mom came over to see my quilts and I'm going to throw the bed quilt on the bed tonight. I can't wait to sleep under it. I still have to cut some threads and things and I'm sure it will come off the bed a few times yet so I can take it for show and tell a few places but it's done and that's all that matters. I couldn't be any happier with both of them. AND, the best part? I just noticed that I'm down to 9 works in progress in my webshots album. That's do-able. One can be finished no problem, 2 baby quilts can be quilted and really the rest of the stuff; when it gets done, it gets done!
Image hosted by Webshots.com

Here's the two quilts that I finished and a slideshow of everything that Michelle snapped a picture of!





2007 - October trip to Michelle’s

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I SO enjoyed your visit, and all that we accomplished. The weather was beautiful, and it couldn't have been a nicer time. Your quilts turned out beautiful. You deserve each ooh and ahh you receive! Love, Michelle

jillquilts said...

Ooh and aah!! :) These are great! You did an awesome job and I can't wait to see them in person! It will be very soon...

Anonymous said...

Jen,
You did a great job on the quilts. They are both beautiful! And completed!!!!

Suzan said...

Jen - I didn't have any idea how big the bargello quilt was until I saw it laying across the frame. Wow! Two big quilts done!!

BTW - sending you an email. I have a question about your quilt frame.

Moneik said...

Your quilts look awesome! I am amazed at all you accomplished in such a short amount of time. The bargello is absolutely stunning!

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

I got to see the quilts last night and pictures don't even come close to doing them justice. I was totally blown away.

Kristie said...

Okay, you are down to 9 works in progress....that makes me want to cry! But I actually did finish my Fall Wallhanging, so that is one less. I love your quilts, you do such beautiful work!!! I can't wait for you to enter your Bargello in a show, I know you will win.
Kristie