Monday, October 15, 2007

Turning Twenty Again

This quilt started out as being a 30th birthday present to myself. I figured I could use 30 fat quarters for 30 blocks. In the end I had to add 6 blocks to make it the size that I wanted. So it's more like a "Someday I'll be 36" quilt. What can I say, I'm a nerd! In case you're wondering, I folded it into 1/4ths for this picture. It was too large to get a good picture in the house.




I had this quilt together earlier this year but at 35 blocks. I had it set 5 x 7 but that was way too long so it's been sitting with a row ripped off of it for the last 6 months or so. I finally made the 36th block tonight, sewed the last row on so it's now 6 x 6 and put the border on. I anticipated being able to use 2 different borders but by the time I started calculating that didn't happen. The blocks put the quilt at 96" x 96". I can only go up to 102" on Michelle's Hinterberg frame. For a moment there I thought I had 6 inches per side and was debating on how big to make each of my two borders. Then it dawned on me, I had 6 inches total that I could add. I ended up cutting each border so that it finishes at 3". We threw it on the bed and it's a great size. Now I just need to get my batting and backing cut and I'll be ready to roll for my trip to Iowa on Saturday afternoon. I'm spending the night.


I'm also hoping to get the borders on my Bargello this week. I know it's pushing it to do two quilts but if I don't quilt that bargello soon I soon won't have the guts to do it. I could wait and do it on my frame once my extra set of legs arrives but since I am hoping I can enter it in some quilt show of some kind I'd feel more comfortable quilting it on Michelle's since she has the stitch regulator and I don't. I know, excuses, excuses!! But there's other quilts that I can practice on once my frame is home and up and running. I don't want the bargello to turn into a practice...I love it far too much. Yet, the longer I wait, the more terrified I'll get to quilt it. So, it must be done now.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Very nice! We probably could get away with a few more inches, but not more than another 8. It looks great! love, Michelle

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

Looks good and I have no dought you'll get both done at Michelle's this weekend.

Moneik said...

It looks like a great quilt. I'm sure you will get them both done. Good luck and have fun at Michelle's this weekend. Happy quilting.

Nancy said...

Will you be doing an overall quilting design or something more organized - not sure that is the best word for it, but perhaps you get my drift!

Kristie said...

Okay, now you know that love that quilt. The pattern and the fabrics are beautiful, so when you get it done go ahead and send it on to me...
Kristie

quiltin cntrygrl said...

What an awesome quilt!! I love it. Don't worry about having quilts to practice on I have a whole bunch just waiting to be quilted.. smiles.. well not really most are tops that need borders and then I'll have to some day find backing and binding... smiles

Heather

Peg said...

This is so cool.....I made a Turning 30 quilt out of the same fabric....I'll have to take a picture. I had my sent out to quilt it together because I suck at it...but your's looks beautiful...