Monday, October 29, 2007

A Very Quilty Day

Wow, did I get a lot accomplished today! Mike went golfing and then out to watch the Packer Game so I pretty much had the whole day to myself.


I did some work on my Yellow Brick Road quilts...GIGGLE, I guess it's another trio! I have one step left to do and then all of the blocks are complete. I'll put the first quilt together and the rest I'll leave for another time. They'll be great practice for on my frame. If things go as planned; which they NEVER do, I should be able to give Kassidy her quilt this next Saturday at her Birthday Party. Then again; I can get it done, I'll just be sleep deprived!


I finished up my leaders; they took a lot more time than I anticipated especially since I had done all that overcast stitching the night before. I didn't end up using the zippers. I can always make new leaders with zippers at another time. Michelle thinks I can shorten them by removing the top pieces so that's something that I'll check out. The canvas was cheap enough; I can always make another set. When it came time to put the leaders on the frame, I found that my tubing wasn't long enough. Who knows. It either shrank or pieces of it got cut off while it was a demo unit. I'll save the shorter pieces and cut them to fit for if I ever shrink the frame back down to twin sized. Off to Ace Hardware we went to get more tubing. While we were waiting to have it cut I noticed that they had the puzzle piece rubber flooring mats on sale for $11.99. Included is 6, 2'X2' sections. I'll put them out and see how they work out under the frame. I need to get the vibration off of the floor so that I don't piss off my neighbors below me.


My mom came over to sew tonight so I quickly moved my sewing table in to the sewing studio for her. Wow, there's not as much room in that room as I had hoped! We will definitely be moving the computer out of there. So this week I'll work on clearing off and out that desk in preparation of moving it. Mom mentioned how we should have given the room a coat of paint first. Sigh; there's just too much going on to think about painting and now it's too late because I'm NOT taking that frame back apart.


I put one of the baby quilts off the frame and was having a horrible time with the tension. The way the carriage is set up I currently can only use one of my thread guides, not both. I chose the wrong one at first. Once I had it through the other one it was pretty much smooth sailing....UNTIL I hit the Minkie. It's funny, I had the same problem that I KNEW I would have with it. Skipped stitches. I had the same problem when I was sewing with Micro-Fleece. So, I ripped it out and decided to just quilt around the minkie parts knowing that it was going to look pretty ridiculous. I swore, and I swore and I swore some more. My friend Ruth's ears should have been ringing because I was swearing about her love for textured fabrics since this is for her baby Eli. I will never ever, not in a million years sew with this stuff ever again.

Notice how goofy it looks with the stippling and then none through the Minkie.

The back just looks plain wierd without those areas quilted. Oh well...it's DONE. Ok, not done; it does still need binding!



Oh, and I need to add, the light that Michelle gave me to attach to my frame is 100% better than spectacular!! I don't even think I need additional overhead lighting. It's perfect!!

8 comments:

Moneik said...

I think it looks fine without quilting those areas. Thanks for the warning about the minkee. I had a lot of trouble with the tension on my YBR baby quilt I made last weekend. I think the King Tut was too much for it.

Nancy-Rose said...

I think it looks terrific!

Suzan said...

Ok, Jen - I'm not gonna lie. It looks a little "unusual" but you learned something important (never use Minkee again!), the quilt is nearly finished and it is a very nice gift. The colors are beautiful and the baby will love the textures.

Michelle said...

Can you quilt on it the old way...stippling sitting at your machine? Otherside, just put your feeddogs up and sew a pattern through it...would that work? You are welcome for the light. I have picked up several, and given them to all my quilt frame girlfriends. I think that is why I find them!

Your quilt looks great....

Rose Marie said...

I think it looks great, but if you are still not happy with it, what about tying some yarn evenly spaced out in those areas ?

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog. Nice to finally meet you....
Great job on the quilting.
Regina

Kristie said...

You are too hard on yourself. The quilt looks fine and I'm sure the baby will never notice that the Minkee is not quilted :o) I'm so glad you are getting your studio all set up.
Kristie

butrfly2200 said...

`I think it looks okay. You are just not used to that look. The baby will love it. Congrats on getting your machine up and running.
:)CArol