Sunday, October 7, 2007

Wow, What a Productive Day!!

Today I went to an all day sewing workday at Frank’s Sewing Center. We got there around 1 and left around 6:30. It was supposed to be to finish our Block of the Month but since my top is pretty much finished I opted to take other things to work on.

I finished the top of my Bargello. I picked fabrics for the borders that I already have. Wendy helped me pick out thread. We’ve decided that I should do an all over stipple. Perhaps I’ll try to do a leaf design just in the outer border. I’m so happy with it. For this quilt, I think I’m going to splurge and put a nice backing fabric on it. Most likely this will be a quilt that I’m going to try to enter in some quilt show or maybe even State Fair next year so it might as well have nice backing. I LOVE this quilt. I can’t tell you how much I love it. Well, I suppose you know because it’s all I’ve been blabbing about for a month or more now. The fabrics in the lower lefthand corner are the narrow border and the larger, outer border. Both are fabrics from within the quilt.



I also got the binding put on my ABC quilt. I’m going to give it to my Cousin Keri’s daughter Kassidy.


Afterwards I went to my mom’s to sew. I put together a Yellow Brick Road baby quilt for Ruth’s baby that will be born next week Monday. Talk about waiting until the last minute! I’m making her two baby quilts because I made two for her son Aidan also. Ruth loves texture so I decided to throw some Minke in. NEVER, NEVER again. It started shrinking from the moment I cut it and started sewing it. The blocks are supposed to be 9-1/2 inches and I ended up having to cut them all down to 9 inches. Then I had to turn all of the blocks so that no minke would be touching the borders. I hate to see what happens to this sucker the first time it gets washed. I can’t believe how quick the YBR went together for a baby quilt. Literally about an hour even with the nasty Minke. I’m going to use the same flannel that I bought for the backing as a border. I have 2 fat quarters left that I’ll use for the binding. I’m going to stipple the quilt with a blue variegated thread. Hopefully that will help to tame the Minke. Seriously folks, never again will that garbage come home with me.


The second quilt that I’m making for her is the Carpenter’s Wheel from the “Sew One and You’re Done” book. I’m doing that in blue, green and off white. I started cutting it. I should be able to get that top done within the next day or two and then have both quilts quilted by the end of the week…just in time for her to deliver.


I also need to get name tags made for my quilting friends this week for our first block of the month for the new session this coming friday. Yikes, I better get on that!

7 comments:

Gina said...

I love your Bargello. I can't wait to see all the borders on it.

love and hugs xxx

Anonymous said...

mykbvHello out there: You have created a work of art-the movement in the design and choice of colors are fantastic. I'm from Ontario and I read your bloggs daily. I feel that I have become friends with you and your mother thro your bloggs. I envy the energy that you put into life.
Debbie

Moneik said...

It sounds like you had a great time at your sewing day. I really wish I could join you guys. That would be so much fun! I'm going to open sewing on Fri. night, so I should hopefully get a lot done!

Nancy said...

The Bargello is gorgeous - can't wait to see it all finished. How many colors do you have in it?

Kristie said...

That is just BEAUTIFUL!!!! You have done an amazing job on it. I think someday I will do another one, but not for a while.
Kristie

jillquilts said...

I LOVE the Bargello!! I can't wait to see it in person!! :) And I love going to retreats or mini-retreats or days out because of all the work that I can get done. I can't believe everything that you got done though!

Barb said...

If you ever get "brave" enough to work with Minkee again, try an iron on stabelizer first. I also like to serge around the edges to keep it from fuzzing. It is a pain to work with but I love the way it feels and looks. I do a lot of machine embroidered pillows with it but have also done quilts with it too. Good luck