Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Discussing Quilting with Non-Quilting People

I was over at my Dad's tonight to go over what I want for Christmas. What's one of the things on my list?

A ROLL of batting. Ok, that raised some eye brows. You want what? Ok, seriously I want a roll of batting. It's only 30 yards, that can be used in no time. You figure at 90" wide, that's at best 15 quilts. To a quilter, this makes sense....to a non-quilter...I can see where this could be considered excessive! You're going to store it where? In my storage unit. I can stop on my way home from work, cut my piece and be on my way again. Won't that get funky? No, it's an indoor climate controlled unit. This required a lot of web surfing. One to the page that I found the best deal on, one to another page so I could show a picture of the bolt of batting, one to the page that has our storage unit on it.

The explaination of the quilting frame I have...that raised more eye brows. You do what? That works how? I thought it was more of a quilt rack thing. I think Cre8tive Quilter's quilt studio will have to have a demonstration for non-quilters so they can have that ah-ha moment. Onto the Grace web site to show how you can quilt from one side with pantograph or the other side to free motion quilt. So to learn you went to Michelle's in Iowa? But doesn't she have a different frame? Well sure she does. Is one better than the other? No, just the same but different. Huh? Onto the Hinterberg site.

I took a quilting magazine over with me. Dad's seen the Rotary Cutter/Mat/Ruler thing but his wife hasn't so that took a little explaining. Doesn't it get boring cutting 60 pieces? This one quilt has 60 pieces of one shape. Do you have special scissors? Nope, it goes really quick. Picture a pizza cutter and a ruler. That just seems like it should take a long time. Well this just raised more questions of how things get put together. Dad launched into this geometry lecture about how it's just angles. We both sat their with our eyes glazed over waiting for the lecture to end.

Showed them my bargello and tried to explain how it started out as strips...not cutting tons of teeny tiny squares and rectangles. I should have pulled up the webpage on this one!

I didn't even try to explain paper piecing. I think that has to be show and tell too!

9 comments:

Connie said...

You're lucky your Dad is interested enough to make it that far into "tutorials" on quilting! When you are really ready to send them over the edge, explain the fusible applique techniques with two-sided fusibles and when you trace the reverse of an image.....I confuse myself on that!!

Moneik said...

My workmates and I got a great laugh over this one. One quilts, the other could care less. She didn't know what batting was, let alone why we were laughing. The quilt frame is way beyond her! Great idea for a gift though. We bought out Hancock's this weekend with their sale!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

You sure do know how to make me laugh. I can just picture this entire conversation taking place. I had the same conversation/website/explanation with my husband when I told him what I wanted to start doing. He's pretty up on it now, but he just kept saying..."You're gonna cut up all those pieces just to sew them back together again?" with a very confused look on his face. It's still funny.....

Kristie said...

I know exactly how you feel. It is hard trying to have a conversation with someone when they don't quilt and that is all that you do.
Kristie

Christine said...

LOL, yep I was saying something about paper piecing tonight, and I could tell my mom was looking at me like I had just sprouted a third eye. I just said I'd show her some day.

jillquilts said...

I guess I am lucky - I started quilting in February of this year and my grandpa asked me if I needed a frame for my birthday. That was in March! :) My mom gets very excited about quilting when we talk about it.

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

My husband is pretty proud of himself when he can throw the term "fat quarters" into a conversation with a quilter! But he does take more interest in what I am doing that I thought he would.

Rose said...

This is a hilarious post! I just found your blog tonight so I'm catching up a bit. My fiance knows nothing about quilting what-so-ever, so when I say I need xxx he just hands me the checkbook. Works for me LOL!!