Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I had a Pretty Quilty Evening

Can you tell I'm procrastinating on cleaning my house for the weekends quilt retreat??



Yeah....how much you want to bet that I leave cleaning until Thursday night at about 9pm?

First I worked on my Green and Tan Batik Pineapple Wallhanging. I put the borders on, even layered it up and started stippling. But I started with Sulky as the top thread and although I like the color and it's shine I've never been able to get the thread off those spools with much success. It kept unrolling too quickly and then falling underneath on the spindle. So, I'm done. I'm ripping it all out and I'll start again with a cotton varigated thread that I have. I guess I know what I'll be working on durning lunch break tomorrow!

Next I started working on a Wallhanging for our Quilt Retreat. I had the idea in my head but I needed to get my pattern down. I bought a panel for everyone and I have fat quarters from the Patched Works for the Paper Pieced Block and the sashing. I think I'm going to use a dark purple for the outside border. It was a challenge to pick a paper pieced block that would be super easy for paper piecing beginners. But this whole wall hanging took me about an hour. If they don't want to work on it, that's fine too but at least they'll leave with the pieces to put it together. I think I might have everyone sign mine in the center block.

I'm going to hang mine somewhere near my quilting frame.

Oh, and you know how I said I missed Mike so I moved back out into the living room? Guess who doesn't believe me? AND, guess who went to hide in the "Sewing Studio" away from the Sewing Machine noise in the living room? MEN!!!

Well, that's all the game I've got. It's bed time!

7 comments:

jillquilts said...

With the Sulky thread, have you tried putting one of those mesh covers over the spool? My Brother (Bubba) came with a couple of different sizes of those mesh things and it is supposed to be used to prevent the spools that unwind easily like that from unwinding. And they are loose enough that it lets just the right amount off to sew with. Just a thought and I figured I would check. :)

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Those panels are so cool. I want a quilty weekend retreat.. oops.. nevermind ... I'm having one everyday! Just all by myself.

Men! Can't live with 'em and I hear we're not allowed to shoot 'em. Just kidding! I love mine, but they sure can do the dumbest things. I'm amazed at how differently the female vs male minds work. Makes life interesting though....

Karen said...

I sometimes have problems with thread coming off the spool on my Pfaff. Mine has a horizontal spoolholder. I bought one of those vertical spoolholders that can stand next to your machine. I use that and then tape a safety pin to the side of my Pfaff and feed the thread through the little hole on the safety pin and then thread the machine as usual. It is an old trick that I learned from when Hearthside was still in business.

Michelle said...

So, would you rather I just brought me and my machine? If you have projects lined up, I'm not against doing something as a group. Just let me know! I'm easy!

Moneik said...

Oh wow that sounds like a fun project you guys will be doing. I'm jealous that you guys are close enough to get together and have a retreat. I wish I had people close to sew with.

Kristie said...

Love both wallhangings. Very pretty! You gals are going to have so much fun this weekend. I will be thinking of you all.
Kristie

Suzan said...

Love the colors in your batik wall hanging!