Saturday, November 3, 2007

Kassidy's Big Kid Quilt

Well, trying to take a picture of Miss Kassidy's Quilt today wasn't exactly easy!! It was soooo windy outside. The Quilt acted like a sail. When we went to pick up my Grandma I got the idea to try taking a picture of it in her hallway and it worked out pretty well.

I'm so happy with the color choices on her quilt. I'm glad that I have enough fabric to make two Lap Sized Yellow Brick Road Quilts yet AND since I made all the blocks at the same time they're all ready to be sewn into tops. Yeah! I did make her a matching pillow case but I forgot to take a picture of it. The cuff was the border fabric and the body was the pink stripe that I used for the binding of the quilt. I quilted it using a spool of Star Brand varigated thread that I already had. I used the varigated thread on the back too. Since it's a thicker thread I went through 9 bobbins. Oh well, I started with 6 wound and then only had to wind another three. I don't mind changing bobbins because I'm so used to my machine. Lots of lint though. But, I do have lots of Star thread and I like the way it looks so I'll just clean my machine alot until I use the bulk of it up.


I think Kassidy is the most Quilt Worthy kid I've ever given a quilt to. I take that back, I don't think she is, I KNOW she is. At 2 years old, Grandma helped her pull it out of the pillow case and she immediatley knew what it was. Ok, maybe not that it was for her bed but she knew it was a blankey, that's for sure!! Before her Grandma could even open it up she crawled onto her lap and laid on it.

She's completely stolen my heart because the she laid on the floor with it, she wrapped up in it. It was SOOOOOO cute. Then her Grandma (My Aunt Kitty) took us upstairs to show us Kassidy's room. Her bed is sooo cute. She sleeps with every stuffed animal that she owns AND every blanket that she owns. Already on her bed is the Baby Quilt that I made for her and the ABC Quilt. She can't even have these blankeys at the foot of her bed, they need to be covering her. Huh, that sounds like me! It's November and I'm still saying no heat until December in the house and I'm trying to see how long I can go without wearing a jacket. Yet at night I have a sheet, a Log Cabin quilt under our main quilt on my side of the bed only then our big Turning Twenty Again quilt, on top of that is a Double Pinwheel quilt that's just on my side of the bed. I can have all these quilts on me even in summer. It's something to do with the weight of all the quilts that makes me feel safe and comfortable.





Kassidy’s Big Girl Quilt

I just feel so happy after being to her birthday party today. The Big 2 and she's just so darn Quilt Worthy and we all know in my world there are very few people that qualify.

For all of you who don't know, Kassidy is my cousin Keri & her husband Danny's daughter. I'll be making 2 baby quilts for Keri's baby that is due in a few weeks very shortly! My Aunt Kitty is Keri's mom and she is the one that my mom and I are teaching to quilt.

6 comments:

Kimber said...

Gorgeous quilt and sweet lil' girl! I envy you your frame. :)

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

I just wanted to say it was really neat to see the reaction of a 2 year old with her new quilt. There she was surrounded by new toys that she wanted to play with and then she pulled this quilt out of the pillow case it was wrapped in and her little world just stopped. She had no thoughts of toys she just wanted to snuggle up with her new quilt. She was just so darn cute with it. The rest of the day she kept going back to her quilt and snuggling with it. I just know that it was on her bed last night along with all her other blankies keeping her safe and warm.

Michelle said...

How adorable! I know your heart swelled to see her reaction. Did you get a hug? She is so cute, and I can see why she has a special place in your heart. Wouldn't it be nice to know that all your labors of love were appreciated as much?

jillquilts said...

How darling she is! And it is so great to give a quilt to someone who is quilt worthy!!

Kristie said...

That is so precious! Doesn't it make you feel good when you see someones reaction like that? The quilt is beautiful!!!
Kristie

Moneik said...

What a wonderful memory to have of her reaction to your gift! I'm sure you will remember her appreciation for the gift for a long time to come.