Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Sewful Saturday - Vacation Day #1

Today was a good day! Mom and I started out this morning at Bits & Pieces for our block of the month. It looks like a pretty easy block so I'll probably get it put together tomorrow. I bought a little bit of fabric to make a Christmas gift for a friend. Probably will work on that tomorrow too. We picked up my Grandma afterwards and headed back to my house to sew.


When my cousin Jean arrived I was working on winding some bobbins and cleaning my machine so that as soon as she had her borders on her quilt I could get it thrown on the quilter. Today is the first time I've used my frame that I haven't had any significant problems. I even tried a new way of loading everything that went much smoother. Here's what I did:


  1. Attached the quilt top to the 3rd rail with pins and rolled up.


  2. Attached backing to the 1st rail with pins and rolled up.


  3. Attached backing to the 2nd rail with pins and rolled it taunt.


  4. Brought up batting and laid it across backing.


  5. Pulled quilt top up and laid it across the batting and backing.


  6. Using basting gun I secured the top and batting to the backing.


This went so much quicker. There was no swearing. Per the Gracie instructions you start out by attching the backing. That's great and all but then you end up dragging the quilt top across fabric instead of bare rails. Doing it in the order I did it, it became a one person job instead of trying to direct another person to hold the quilt top up in the right way to keep the stress off of it.



Before I even put my machine on the frame I brought out a practice piece so that I could get my tension down. Once I was loaded I just had to make a few minor adjustments and then I had no further problems! I used Bottom Line thead in my bobbin and a Robinson Anton verigated thread in the top with a 100/16 top stitch needle. The verigated thread went really well with her quilt but it was kind of hard to see where I was going and where I had been. It blended in a little too well.


The quilt that I quilted for Jean was her first quilt. So in the last two weeks, my two students have completed their first projects. =) The quilt that she made is for her friend Pam who is currently battling breast cancer. Once I was done quilting it, we taught Jean how to put her binding on. It really turned out nicely.


While Jean and I were working on that, my Mom and Aunt Kitty worked on their block of the month blocks.



I began cutting for one of the baby quilts that I'm making this weekend for Baby X (really just not named yet and due on Monday). I realized that I really needed one more color to make the quilt work so Jean and I made an emergency trip over to the Patched Works. The quilt that I made went together so easily and was very quick. The fabric that I had purchased was called Little Blessings. It looked like it was a border print. I knew it was pretty but wasn't sure what to do with it so I googled the fabric line to find that they had a free pattern to go with it which is what I ended up using. I think it turned out just adorable. I even mitered my corners!!


Of course, while at Patched Works buying my fabric I found two other pieces of fabric that I HAD to have!!


Jean, her husband Tony, Mike and I all sat down to watch the movie Transformers and have a pizza. The movie was a lot different that I anticipated. I actually really liked the movie.



Just before they left we remembered we hadn't made the quilt label yet so we quickly printed it out onto muslin and I attached non-woven fusible interfacing to the back so it is now ironed onto her quilt. Now she'll just need to hand sew around the edges and then it can be delivered.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Good job on your first quilt, Jean! We watched Rattetouille tonight. It was neat, but not as neat as 'Cars'.

Did grandma sew, or just sit, enjoy, and hum again?

Michelle said...

Your baby quilt turned out really neat!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

What a great Saturday for you! I'm having trouble with my Janome again. I had such a knot in the machine that I had to take it all apart. Garry was concerned when he saw me with the screwdriver....LOL
I got frustrated and quit when I got it cleaned out...but I'll be back at it soon. Later...Regina

Kristie said...

Sure sounds like you all got alot done. Love the quilts and the new fabric. We watched Transformers a couple of weeks ago. I usually don't like movies like that but it was alot better than I thought it would be. The boys loved it.
Kristie

Connie said...

Enjoy your sewing vacation! Sounds and looks like you are off to a great start!

Moneik said...

The quilts are so way cute. I love them both and especially the label for Jean's quilt. Great job on learning how to make the frame work for you.

jillquilts said...

Love teh pink quilt! Congrats on making another quilter! And the fabric that you got is very pretty. And Woo HOo to finding a quicker and better way to load a quilt to the frame! That's awesome!