Wednesday, November 21, 2007

That was one heck of a project!!

But yea!! the quilt is quilted. Mom just came over to watch me take the final row of stitches and watch as it came off the frame. I decided to just give it to her right away. She can then put the binding on it and start using it. She knows the gift is the batting, backing and quilting so why wait? I'm so bad when it comes to quilted gifts, I just want to give them right away. This is a quilt she finished this summer. I had her feel the thread and she agrees (we know so much now after our thread lecture) that it feels funny. It's King Tut but it feels like how black thread feels. Did you know that on some of the lesser quality brands of thread black thread is actually screw ups of different colors that they re-dye black? Anyway, this thread feels like that in the blue areas. It's almost like it was dyed yellow and then the blue was dyed over that. LOL, one thread lecture and we think we know...HA HA. I had more problems with this thread than I've had with my Star thread. And Star they suggested to not use on the frame. Sure, it's linty but I haven't had problems. I have quite a bit of it and it's too thick for piecing now that I've fallen in love with Aurifill and Signature for piecing so I'll just use it up for quilting since it's not a problem on my machine.

So, without further ado, here's mom's Sunshine 4-patch Flip:





And, just like a little kid, my mom laid down on the floor on her new quilty. =)

Now we're headed over to my Uncles for a Thanksgiving Eve party. I'll tell you all about that later; it's quite the tradition in our family that we're trying to revive.

6 comments:

jillquilts said...

Woo hoo for you! :) Congrats on barreling through with the crappy thread! It turned out nicely!

jillquilts said...

Oh, and I forgot - Is that ALL that you got done today? I hope that you are still up and working because I have finished the pants and am starting prep work on 3 other projects! :)

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

My quilt is just beautiful. We just got home from Thanksgiving Eve and I already have the fabric out and I'll just go ahead and cut the binding out before I go to bed. Thank you thank you thank you Jen for the great gift.

Michelle said...

The quilt looks great, and I love the picture of Cindy laying on the floor. A classic!

Kristie said...

The quilt turned out beautiful. So glad your mom enjoys it. Great job.
Kristie

Moneik said...

Oh I love the quilt and I'm sure she'll appreciate it a lot.