Monday, November 19, 2007

Vacation Day #3

What a day, what a day, what a day. I started out this morning quilting a baby quilt on my frame. Once that was done I had to get ready to go to a Funeral. My Grandma's sister Marian died. I've gotta admit, I'm really surprised at how well my Grandma is doing with all of this. My Grandpa died on November 22nd, 1999. So Thanksgiving week is never a good week for our family.


I hate to say it, but funerals with my Mom's family always prove to be entertaining. My Uncle Bob...boy, where do I start? He's a fantastic story teller. His wife died earlier this year. He's joined all of these widow/widower groups, yoga class and a bunch of other activities. He likes the 5 minute hugs from the younger women in the w/w group. The yoga, well he likes the back row so he can check out women's butts. Then he's telling us how he fell out of a yoga position one day and cracked his head against the wall. So the following week he went with a bike helmet on just to get a reaction out of everyone. His son and daughter got him a cell phone. Half way through the funeral a phone starts ringing. My Uncle Bob doesn't realize it's him, my Uncle Ray is sitting on the other side of him and feels it ring/vibrate through Bob's pocket so now they're trying to get it out to turn it off. Our whole row just loses composure. It stops. Then it starts ringing again and he just stares at it. I ripped it out of his hand and whispered comically, "Are you 12?!?!" and turned it off. Afterwards our group went back to his house for lunch. I swear, he pulled everything odd out of his fridge and we all just dug in. You'd mention something you liked and out he'd come with it. My mom mentioned carmel corn, he had carmel to dip apples in. We mentioned olives, the next thing he came out with was stuffed garlic and stuffed blue cheese olives. It was just hilarious. Everytime I see him, he reminds me more and more of my randpa. Everything is an adventure.


When I got home I put the binding on the two baby quilts. Mackenzie was born around 8am. I was going to go to the hospital but I decided I needed a nap. The brighter of the two was the one I quilted in the morning. For the binding I cut one strip of each color that is in the quilt.


When I woke up, I just couldn't get focused on ONE project. I sewed on the fleece pants. Which by the way I'm not going to be able to give to my mom. If I give her a piece of clothing that releases her as my House Elf. That just can't happen! =) I cut out applique pieces for a Christmas Gift and started to applique them.

3 comments:

Hazel said...

It sounds like your uncle is a real character ,just have to love a fellow like that .Your quilts are nice I can't believe how quickly you got going with that frame ,good for you

Moneik said...

Love the quilts! They are just so adorable. Your uncle sounds like he is a ball of laughs. My little brother is the same way. He can make everyone laugh.

Kristie said...

Your Uncle sounds like a real hoot! Sorry to hear about your Great Aunt. That is always so hard around the holidays.

Love your quilts. You throw those things together like they are nothing. Great Job!
Kristie