Saturday, November 24, 2007

Vacation Day #8 The Watermelon Quilt

I've been working on another one of my Mom's quilts today. The Watermelon Quilt is huge! It's about 90 inches wide and maybe 115-120 long. (It's been measured now, it's 84 X 123) Definitely the largest quilt I've done so far on my frame. I think it took me about 7-8 hours to do. I'm kicking myself now because I didn't take a picture of it all rolled up on the frame. I had NO room left in the harp. At one point I almost unrolled it and re-rolled it from the other direction. This quilt was actually basted first with basting tacks. I think my mom basted it sometime last year and it sat in a bag ever since. Instead of taking them all out I thought it was worth a try to put it on the frame as is and it worked fine. It's not my first choice for doing a quilt but since it already was that way, no big deal.

I ended up using white thread because I didn't have a pink or a lime that matched. Actually I think the white was a great complimentary color. This quilt looks fantastic!! I can't wait to run it over to her. She can put her binding on and maybe be sleeping under it right away.


6 comments:

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

It looks fantastic, thanks Jen. I have the bed completely torn apart today but am going to sit with GMA tonight while Kitty goes out. I think I'll take my machine along and put the binding on my blue and yellow quilt. I took my first long nap under it and it was fantastic.

Michelle said...

The Watermelon quilt looks great!
Good job, Jen. That is as big as Mrs. D's turning twenty quilt was, and it took me that long too. She told me I didn't need to quilt it as tight as I did, but I told her I wasn't taking it out! She loved it. It makes you feel good to know that you are appreciated.

Debi said...

You did a great job on the quilt. The colors go together nicely. It is one big quilt, is it going on her bed?

Kristie said...

You did a beautiful job on the quilt. together you and your mom make a very nice quilt. I bet you are tired from all of that quilting. Great Job!
Kristie

Rose said...

This looks great, Jen. I'm so glad that you mentioned that it was basted with tacks. I've been wondering if you can machine quilt with those. I use them to hand quilt and I love them!!

Are you quilting with a standard home sewing machine on your frame?

Maureen said...

Wow Jen...it looks great! I can tell that your mom will love it!