Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Birthday Dinner

Tonight despite the snow My dad and his wife Lynda took Mike and I out for dinner to the Olive Garden. It was soooo yummy! After dinner I asked to go take a drive through Candy Cane Lane. It's about a 12 block area where all the houses are lit up. They also take up a collection and the proceeds go to the MACC Fund which is a charity that Mike and I really believe in. Mom and I go looking at Christmas lights a lot, but it's probably been about 10-12 years since I've been Christmas Light looking with my dad. It's so odd because that was such a big deal to us as a family; we could drive around for hours. I don't think he's gone looking at lights since then. =(


The great news of the eveing is that Lynda has been breast cancer free for an entire year!!


I got to show my Dad my quilt frame. It was much larger than he thought it would be. I had put some brown and pink batik fabric on the frame so I could demonstrate. I'm going to use it as a laptop cover. I have a Moda pattern. I have the same batik for the front and the back and I used a double layer of Warm and Natural. I was having so many problems. First off I went to fill the bobbin and realized I put my machine on the frame and forgot to extend the thread guide. Of course I didn't realize that until I had the quilt rolled up on the frame. So I had to unroll and all that jazz so I could pull the machine back off and put the guide up. Then I was quilting with a thread that I haven't used yet on the frame and it kept breaking. Luckily it didn't break while he was watching but when I went back to finish it off later I had nothing but problems.




For my birthday they gave me a bolt of batting that I had asked for. I'm the proud owner of 30 yards of 96" wide Hobbs 80/20 batting. I think it's going to be interesting to see how many quilts I can do. I was giving him a hard time about his wrapping job. It was pretty unique!




I haven't pulled it out of the box yet because I'm afraid that if I open it up, it won't go back into the box!!!!

10 comments:

Carol Van Rooy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carol Van Rooy said...

Sorry, I thought I could fix the errors by deleting the post. Anyhow, is it a long-arm you own??? I admire your work and have never seen one in use, that's why I ask.

Hope your dinner was wonderful. All the Olive Garden's in Canada went bust. Oh how I miss that place.

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

Holy batting bat man. That's one huge box of batting you've got there.

Michelle said...

Sounds like you had a fun evening. I'm happy for you. I miss my dad. Cherish every moment.

Heather said...

I wouldn't even venture to guess how many quilts you'll get out of that batting. How many UFO's are you going to be able to finish? Or do you not have any? Oh did you know that I finally added a few pictures to my blog? Smiles

Gina said...

Are you sure you'll have enough batting the rate you make quilts. that'll last you how long?

I take Gemma round the streets to see the Christmas lights aswell. we alsways do it the evening before Christmas eve

love and hugs xxx

Suzan said...

Smart girl asking for something you can really use for your birthday gift! Won't it be nice having batting at home? Happy quilting!!

Kristie said...

So glad that you had such a nice time. We try to go every year looking at Christmas lights, it is so fun for the family.

I'm sure you will make great use of all that batting. You will have to keep count on how many quilts that you do with it.
Kristie

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Only a quilter would be thrilled to have a roll of wadding for a birthday gift. You'll need to put a counter or something on your side bar to keep a tally of the quilts you make with it! Happy Birthday!!

Moneik said...

Congrats Jen on getting one of the best gifts a quilter could ask for! I'm sure you'll get a ton done now. We love our Olive Garden too. It's such a treat to be able to eat there and the salad is the best.
So happy to hear Lynda is cancer free. My mom is 2 years cancer free.