Friday, December 21, 2007

Craft Inc. - Book Review



I just finished reading the book Craft Inc. Turn Your Creative Hobby Into a Business by Meg Mateo Ilasco.

I picked this book up because of the numerous times I've heard, "You should do that for a living" regarding my quilts. I've always said that it just wouldn't be fun if I HAD to make quilts. Besides that, you put so many hours into a quilt - who in their right mind is going to pay you what you're really worth?

The book was a very interesting read. I thought it was very informational. It really outlined ALL the things you need to do...and by all...wow, there's a LOT to do. No thank you!

For me it was a good read because it wasn't something I was intending to do anyway but it did confirm all of my suspicions. I'd rather just do what I want, when I want and for whom I want and ENJOY what I'm doing.


4 comments:

Bethany said...

Jen, thanks for the information.
Happy to do it for friends and family. Get paid to do it? No thanks. I don't need the stress.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Been there, done that! I, too, am often told...you should sell your quilts/bags/etc and I've given it a go...had the website and the etsy store...and done the craft shows..and not one bite. In the end it was friends and family that bought my stock! And that just feels like they were taking pity on me. In the end I hated sewing...and that was too high a price to pay...so now I'm back to sewing what I want, when I want and giving to those I want to...much more rewarding!

Gina said...

I'm the same. My family and friends always wonder why I don't do this for profit but I hate working to deadline and I don't like charging for my work.
I do sell some things but only charge what it cost me in fabric and wadding. I always end up losing out on it.
The best piece of advice that was ever given to me was DON'T TURN YOUR HOBBY INTO YOUR JOB.

love and hugs xxx

Moneik said...

I have to agree I don't think I would ever be able to do it as a job. I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much. I have a distinct taste and that is what I like. I'll make something for pay once in a while, but only special orders when i have time.