Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Making of a Tree Skirt

For my birthday my mom gave me a 9 degree wedge ruler as we had seen these tree skirts at The Patched Works. When I was a kid, my Mom and Grandma actually made these very same tree skirts for everyone in the family. So I feel like I'm reviving a tradition of some sort.

My tree is tiny. It's only about 4-1/2 feet high and pretty thin. I don't need a traditional huge 48" tree skirt.

I started out with 6 different fabrics - one half yard each as suggested by Julie at the Patched Works. But then, I needed to decide how big my tree skirt needed to be and how wide I wanted my strips.

After a page or two of pencil scribbles I came up with the following which comes out to a 17 inch finished strip set.


  1. Strip One - Green - 4 inches
  2. Strip Two - Red - 3.25 inches
  3. Strip Three - Tan - 2.75 inches
  4. Strip Four - Red - 2.75 inches
  5. Strip Five - Tan - 3.25 inches
  6. Strip Six - Green - 4 inches


I sewed them all together using the standard 1/4 inch seam allowance. I ironed the seams open and sprayed the strip set with Mary Ellen's Best Press. I then cut them apart using my wedge ruler. You flip it back and forth to get opposite wedges. With the size of my strip set, I got 16 wedges out of each strip set - eight of each. To make a complete circle you need 360 degrees; so 2-1/2 strip sets are needed to cut 40 wedges.

Now, the only thing left to figure out is how I want to go about finishing it.

P.S.  The Tree Skirt pattern is called "Treasured Tree Skirt" and it is by Linda Marcou.  The 9 degree wedge ruler by Marilyn Doheny is used with it.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

That is totally awesome!!!! I wondered how you did that! Wow wow wow, is all I can say! You could do that and make just a nice tablecloth too. I love it!

jillquilts said...

Very pretty! You should do patterns!

Heather said...

Very Pretty!!! If you remind me later I have the book for you... You have got to see it. I have that same ruler and have to finish a started christmas tree skirt.

Moneik said...

Oh I love it Jen! It's really awesome and completely unique. Mine is so dull and boring next to yours.