Monday, December 10, 2007

New Laptop


Wow, this is my first blog post from my new laptop. Mike bought it for me as a Birthday/Christmas present. You know what that means right? I've simply GOT to make myself a laptop bag. I guess the store kept trying to get Mike to buy a bag for the laptop. He kept turning him down because he said I either had one already or would make one. I'm thinking I need to use that snazzy pink and brown batik that I've got in my stash. Maybe even some leather handles? Otherwise I know a few months back that we got a laptop "cozy" type pattern at Moda block of the month. I'll have to pull that out and see what that entails. I must say, I was completely shocked that right out of the box I was able to get online wirelessly. It ROCKS!! It's a Sony Vaio. I was looking for a computer with XP and this has Vista so this should be a learning experience.

So, the poor guy tracks down the laptop that we were after at an Office Depot on the corner of Sketchy and LockYourDoors. He goes to pay for it with out Debit card and it gets declined. Tries to have them process it as Credit and it declines. He's feeling like the people that we laugh about...the ones who stand there arguing with the clerk because they know they have 10K in the bank or limit on their card. He's freaking out because he knew we had the money for this and I'm in a meeting and can't check online so he calls the bank. Ok, to clarify; credit union. Turns out there is a $500 daily limit on debit card transactions and a $500 daily limit on credit card transactions. Since it's a Visa product, the debit card can be swiped either way. They accomodated him and upped the daily limit for today only. Ummm, ok but it's OUR MONEY shouldn't we be able to spend it how and when we want?
How the heck have we never run into this problem before? Seriously, think about it. It's not that hard to use $500 in one day. Fill my gas tank, $30-$40, to fill Mike's gas tank $40-$50. If Mike and I each hit the ATM thinking we're going for both of us and splitting the cash and end up not since we both went. If we hit the grocery store. If we hit Target. I swear it's very rare we end up leaving Target spending less than $75. Plus, back when I worked in a bank on from Friday at 2pm until Monday at 2pm was considered ONE business day so weekends could seriously be dangerous!

Now this Credit Union...they're a real piece of work. We originally started banking there because my car loan was through there and we got a better rate if we held our accounts there. The car is paid off but it's just too big of a pain in the neck to change when you have everything set up to pay automatically or online. So when we first set up my car loan they were on this cycle where every three months they'd deduct my car payment 3 times. Now, when the car payment was $366 a month, hitting it three times caused major havoc until I'd figure out what the problem was and tell them to fix their screw up. This went on for about 9 months. Periodically they just turn off the bank for upgrades. They don't exactly let their customers know when this is going to happen. For example, New Years Eve a few years ago. We were on our way out, hit the ATM, freaked out, went home to check online and the online site said they were down. It's always just one of those things that makes your heart drop and make you wonder what the heck happened. So, it's just a long line of odd things. It's time for a change; I just don't have the energy to do that sort of thing!! We just always shake our heads, say a few choice words and remark about what a wonderful credit union they are.

My dear friend Diane gave me a homemade birthday gift today. She does a lot of cool things with Polyclay. I was telling her a week or so ago about how I had seen these really cool ribbon candy ornaments made out of polyclay. Well, guess what's hanging on my tree right now?? A ribbon candy ornament and a candy cane polyclay ornament. I also have a fabulous polyclay ring that looks like a piece of candy. It's all so AWESOME!! The three pieces look so real. I hung my ornaments on my tree so here's a picture of my tree with the ornaments and the yo-yo's. I haven't gotten around to decorating the tree yet but we typically don't until after my birthday anyway so we're actually right on schedule with that. If I can get to it yet this year I'm going to make a new tree skirt. But first I need to finish a couple of Christmas presents.

Note to self; don't take pictures near a light bulb...it mucks everything up and I should have known better!!

5 comments:

Gina said...

I'm sorry you have prolems with your bank. we've had our problems aswell. This time last year I closed an account I had with them, in my name only. They closed that but for some reason went on to cancel all our monthly payments out of the joint account. the first i knew of it was when the mortgage company phoned and asked was there any reason why I hadn't paid my mortgage fopr the past 2 months. It took me 6 months to get everything sorted and back on track.

love and hugs xxx

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

What cool ornaments and the ring is awesome. Happy new lap top.

Moneik said...

The ornaments are so cool and your tree looks really nice. We are getting ours this weekend. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new vista laptop. It took a while at first, but I really like the vista Leslie bought.

Kristie said...

Wow! A new laptop! I have Vista on my home computer, it's really not that different from XP. I love the ornaments, she is very talented.

Our bank is the same way. We also have a $500 daily limit. I found that out when I tried to buy a tractor part for Richard that was $900 and it declined it. I was sooooooo embarassed!
Krisite

Heather said...

Yeah a new laptop!! I have/ had vista on my laptop too. When I get it back from HP I'm sure that I'll enjoy mine too. The ornaments are awesome sew pretty and your right they look so real I had to do a double take

Heather