Thursday, December 13, 2007

Sewers Aide




I had a few people ask what Sewers Aide was so I thought it warranted it's own post. Moneik was the one who originally told me about Sewers Aide which is why I bought a bottle in the first place. I just hasn't used it yet!

Long Arm University describes it as:



This easy-to-use thread lubricant is what I use when I have thread breakage. Sometimes the thread may become "brittle" or "dried out". This may happen if you live in a dry climate or during the winter when the heat is on. Place a few "lines" of Sewers Aide the length of the cone or spool of thread, let it sit for a few minutes and your problems will be significantly reduced. This product is a MUST for any quilter.




Quilt University describes it as (the link directs you to a page with fabulous information on what to do with difficult thread):





Determine whether or not your sewing machine has a computer-regulated tension
disc, and lubricate your thread accordingly. If your machine is old, like mine, you can use Sewer’s Aide or Sewer’s Ease, which you can get at any fabric store. All of these are silicone thread lubricants that you squirt directly on your thread. Just squirt a bead or two of this lubricant down your spool, and put a little drop on your thread guide.




In addition, you can stick a little square of felt or moleskin to your machine just above where the thread goes to the needle, and squirt a little bit of lubricant on that patch so the thread is lubricated as it passes over the moleskin. Some people even use a specially lubricated piece of fabric to sew through every now and then, but I cannot be bothered to keep doing that. With Sewer’s Aide, you only have to do it every half hour or so or whenever the thread starts to break. If there is nowhere to put the moleskin, and your thread is giving you fits, just squirt a little Sewers’ Aide on the back of your needle every half hour or so.





Marcus Brother's Fabrics has a fantastic tip section. There I read:




from Patricia E. Cole of North Kingstown, RI It’s been said that the use of Sewers Aide silicone may hurt the tension discs on a sewing machine. To remove any potential problem, buy heavy duty felt pads (used on the bottom of furniture legs to prevent scratching your wood floor) Stick one to your machine, right above the last thread guide after the tension disks, squirt some sewer's aide on the pad and you can lubricate your thread and not get the silicone on the tension disks.





I also read somewhere to put Sewers Aide on a piece of moleskin in the same place as it was suggested to put the felt pads.



It's important to note though, that this is a silicone based product. Don't just go squirting it on your spool of thread without finding out more details on this product. I don't want to feel responsible if you screw up your machine. There seems to be conflicting reports on whether it should go through your tension disks or not. I erred on the side of caution. Personally, until I learn more, I was only comfortable squirting a drop onto my sewing machine needle (while it was NOT attached to the machine) and rubbing it around on it. The bottle itself really doesn't come with directions. If you have questions, it's probably best to ask your dealer on his/her opinion.

2 comments:

Kristie said...

I have a bottle of this that someone gave me, but I haven't used it as of yet.
Kristie

Moneik said...

I put it on my thread all the time and haven't had any problems with the tension discs. The store I got to recommends it for those hard to use threads like metallics, king tut, and other thick ones. I squirt a little on my needle when I'm having trouble and a little on the spool of threads.