Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Snowflake Table Runner

This morning I just couldn't wait any longer. I had to give my friend Diane her Christmas Present. Here's the blog post from when I started it: Diane's Table Runner. I just published that post today since I had to keep it a secret. The table runner is about 15 inches wide and about 5 feet long.



It's LOVERLY. I can't wait to make something similar for myself. God knows I have enough fabric because everytime I see it in the store I buy another yard. Have you figured out yet that I'm infatuated with snowflakes?

I also put a set of snowflake coasters (the ones from yesterday) with the gift.

The best part? We were in V. Richards yesterday and she was talking about her bowl of ornaments on her dining room table. I asked her what color they were....blue and silver. Hmmmm, did I remember that from last year?? I honestly have no idea.

The even better part? She has china that will match the table runner!! I can't wait to see a picture of her set table.

Everytime I showed this table runner while it was in progress, someone tried to steal it.

I quilted it using a pewter Hemmingway Polyester thread (that's not even a metallic!) and Bottom Line thread on the bottom. I did this one sitting at my table because I wanted to concentrate on making my stippling small....but I wasn't gutsy enough to go into those little areas towards the centers of the snowflakes! I also used a chunk of that fusible polyester batting for the center (Remember that batting? That's the stuff I ironed to my ironing board while making my Miranda only this time I was smart enough to put my backing down on the ironing board first). I have to say I really, really, really like it for a table runner. It really puffs nicely with the dense quilting. I'll be using that again for table runners, that's for sure. It also gave the table runner more body; it's not like a table runner needs the drape that you'd want on a quilt or wallhanging so it's perfect.


The binding is double fold and a super narrow 1-3/4" strip folded in half. I did this on Julie's suggestion. I LOVE it.

11 comments:

Miss Organizized said...

oh man now I REALLY can't wait to see this in person!!! I love snowflakes too :D

Moneik said...

I absolutely love it! I can't believe you were able to give it away! Did you do applique snowflakes? Did you have a pattern?

Kristie said...

Great Job!!! It is BEAUTIFUL! I'm sure she loves it.
Kristie

Michelle said...

Very pretty!

Debi said...

Very pretty, I love those fabrics and the snowflakes.

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!! I love snowflakes too, so that fabric is perfect. Where did you get the pattern? Rhoda

Maureen said...

Jen:

Again this is gorgeous! I am so glad you put posts up of all the pretty things you make.

Maureen

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

It turned out so great. Great idea for next year.

Heather said...

I Love it!! In fact I have some of that fabric myself. The snowman that I made had some of the same fabric. I have seen a pattern like that before and didn't pick it up..(kicking myself) did you create that one yourself??

Gina said...

What a great table runner. I can understand why everybody wanted to steal it.

love and hugs xxx

Nancy-Rose said...

beautiful!!!! And she can use it well past Christmas

Nancy