Saturday, January 12, 2008

All Day Quilting Retreat

Today I went to Wendy's All Day Quilting Retreat that was held at her church, it was WONDERFUL!! I got so much done.


Since I hadn't packed the night before I had to pack the morning of. I couldn't get moving. I had wanted to be up by 7 and that didn't happen. I ended up getting up at 8:15 and the retreat was to start at 9. I ended up getting there at 9:40. No big deal because I settled in pretty quick and got to sewing.


I started out binding my Chocolat Hexagon Quilt. It turned out really nice. I love it and the ladies couldn't believe that it wasn't pieced that it was actually a cheater quilt! LOL.






I moved on to binding my Yellow Brick Road Quilt. FINALLY, a Yellow Brick Road for myself. Not bad out of SIX that I've made! I wasn't sure what I wanted to use for binding so I took 4 selections along. Maureen decided for me and I went with the blueish aqua that is in the quilt. Of course I didn't have thread for THAT so I used Maureen's spool of Polyester Monofiliment. Thank God for the stash of friends!! It turned out really nicely. I'm very happy with it.


Now it was time for lunch. We had a salad bar. Everyone brought a salad fixing. Maureen bailed me out and brought two kinds of meat. I forgot about stopping at the store so when she called last night to say she'd take two meats I was thrilled. She's right, I would have done it for her too if she was stressed out. One of the ladies made a yummy cake. It was a yellow cake mix, 4 eggs, the oil and water as per the box. Then she added a box of instant vanilla pudding and mini chocolate chips. I guess you beat it for about 10 minutes. It was really, really yummy. I think Mike would like it. We all discussed our kitchen folleys and got great laughs from each others stories.



Wendy then showed us how to make these adorable Chicken pin cushions. Maureen and I wanted to work on them together so I worked on other things while she finished up her "Albatross." You'll have to wait for her post to see and hear what the Albatross is!!

I moved on to my two blocks that I needed to make for Wendy's BOM. I was one month behind and got another one yesterday. Block #4 used TaDa triangles. It's like a thangle or a triangulation but it's on fusible interfacing and you leave it as part of your block. Maureen and I both hate these things. My blocks always end up Wonky because you're supposed to use low heat and well..that doesn't work when you have all kinds of thick seams to iron flat. Oh well....it will be ok once it's in my quilt. Block #3 went together really easily. That block had used the T-Recs triangles.



My next project was my Moda-U blocks. I was 2 months behind and I'll get the final block last week. Those went together quickly as always. I can't wait to get the final block so that I can start working on assembling the quilt top. I have really no clear idea what it's going to look like!!


We ordered pizza for dinner. Our dinner conversation this time revolved around allergies. It was really nice to hear that one of the ladies has a granddaughter with nut allergies and she goes to great strides to make sure NOTHING has nuts in it or near it.

By this point Maureen was done working on the Albatross so we started our pin cushions. OMG, they were soo much fun to make. Maureen and I each did three. After we were done we realized how many were around the room so we put them in a group and took a Photo Shoot! I've never laughed so hard. We set them up in a row and I'm going to make Wendy a header for her blog that she's going to start. She can be the "quilting chick."






I pulled out last year's block of the month quilt that we did with Wendy. I put on my final two borders and made my binding. I need to get black batting and my backing and then it's all ready to quilt.

Whew...I got a lot done. Got quite a few things completed for Finish it Up Month. I'm pretty hopeful that I can get a few more things ticked off shortly.

It was a fantastic day and I can't wait to do it again!

It was 9:15 by the time we were cleaned up and packed up and ready to go home.

Mike had rented a carpet cleaner to clean our carpets while I was out of the house. We needed to steam the carpeting by the patio door that had leaked a few weeks back. It was smelling horribly and was really bothering both of our allergies. Well, I walked in and the air immediately got sucked out of my lungs and I started to itch. I went to sit and play on the computer in my bedroom so I wouldn't be right by it. Finally I took some Claritin and little by little the itching subsided. For a while I thought I'd be grabbing my air mattress and going to sleep at my mom's!!

I have high hopes for sewing tomorrow. Hopefully I can tick a few more things off my list or at least get some good progress going.

12 comments:

Maureen said...

Ohh God did we have a good day yesterday. I laughed and had Jen there to help me with my Albatross...the pictures are on my blog. http://maureenquilts.blogspot.com/

It is my nephew Ethan's Quilt...I never thought this would get done but it is finally done and ready to be loved by a small child.

Thanks Jen for all your support and all the "Chick" laughs.

Michelle said...

Wow Jen! Again, you got TONS done. Your quilts look great, and your chicks are cute!

I hope your apartment smells better today and your allergy problems have subsided.

Nancy-Rose said...

ah! a very productive day! Lovely, lovely...

I'm prepping for a retreat next Saturday. And I've been having a PJ day today - but I didn't get nearly as much as you did complete.

Kristie said...

Wow! I'm jealous! It sounds like you had a great time. You really got alot done! I love how your quilts turned out. They are beautiful.
Kristie

Carol Van Rooy said...

WOW I love the pincushions. You ought to publish the pattern on your blog or provide a tutorial. PLEEEEASE!!!!

Jen said...

I can't, it's not my pattern to give!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I love them all!!! I didn't get anywhere near that much done but I did sew all day yesterday and had a great time all by myself in my own little world.... The chicks are just adorable.
Happy quilting....
Regina

Moneik said...

Wow, you got a ton done! I wish I could be that productive during a weekend. Your FIUM is going to help you complete so much, you'll have to start something new.

butrfly2200 said...

I love the chicks, You sure got alot done. It's it great to have a day just for sewing, eating and talking.
Can you give us the info on the pattern. who or where we could get the pattern.
I still am way behind reading your blog. Didn't find it for awhile.
Oh, Jen I'm teaching the crisscross coasters at my craft guild tomorrow. Thanks. I sure made alot of them.

;)Carol

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

Wow you're moving right along. All I got done was 4 litter mittens. Now I need to get cracking or I'll be left in the dust.

Hazel said...

Your such a mover I used to be like that now I can rest and take a day off .Go fore it girl your work is wonderful .

Gina said...

Wow you got loads done. I love how that BOM turned out.

love and hugs xx