Wednesday, January 9, 2008

American Heart Association

My friend Sherry and another friend of hers have been working on a quilt for the American Heart Association over the last year. It's going to be used either as an auction quilt or a raffle quilt. I'll add more details when I find them out. She asked me if I would quilt it for them.



I'd have to be a fool to NOT quilt it for them! My Grandma is a survivor of three heart attacks, my Grandpa had a bad heart and Sherry's son is on the waiting list for a heart transplant. The more research, the better!



The heart blocks were from a swap that we did last year at BOM. They put on the tilted borders and Sherry appliqued around each heart using various decorative stitches and various different threads.



I can't believe how quick this quilted tonight. I think I got it on the frame by about 7:30 and I was cutting it off about 10:15. Quilting around the appliqued hearts wasn't hard but I did really have to think about how I was going to get out of an area if I got caught in it. There were a few places that I'd tie the thread off at the edge of a heart and then re-start on the other side. Most of that depended on how far I could roll the quilt each time. There's a variegated red King Tut thread on the top and red bottom line on the bottom. The backing is a red batik. I did have some thread shredding issues. I'm not sure if it's the King Tut thread as the problems were similar as when I used that blue and yellow variegated thread, or if it was the batik backing, or if maybe I have a ding or something on my last thread guide. It seemed when I skipped that final guide I had far, far less shredding.



So, it might not have been on my Finish it Up list, but it's still a finish never the less!!



We took Holly for a walk tonight. I think I have the only Labrador on the planet that HATES walks. She's getting older and she's getting a little chunky again so its time to "thin her out." You can tell when she's ready to be done because she really screws around while she walks.

14 comments:

Michelle said...

The quilt is beautiful, and the quilting is awesome. Good job!

Suzan said...

Nice job, Jen!

Kristie said...

The quilt is beautiful! And of course another amazing job on the quilting. You will have to keep us informed on the quilt.
Kristie

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt and congrats on finishing something!
Deb (vtquilter)

Valerie said...

The quilting looks wonderful - you really do well with your quilting frame! I'd always wanted one, but I have heard really mixed reviews on frames, but you look as if you've really got it to work for you!

Debi said...

Very pretty quilt and your quilting is great.

Moneik said...

Oh I love the quilting on it. It's so beautiful and I love the quilt itself too. Anything with hearts is right up my alley.

Connie said...

GREAT quilt--it is going to do you guys proud and raise a lot of money for sure! My Dad narrowly missed a major huge heart attack--he must have had an angel whispering in his ear 'cause they caught him when he was 95% blocked on one side and 98% on the other. His only symptom was a weird pain in his left lower leg. Something made him get up and go to the ER and the rest is history--5-way bypass, but luckily no actual attack. You did a fantastic job with the quilting!

Hazel said...

I love the quilt and your quilting is great

Amelia said...

Great job you did, lady!

Also the quilt is quite beautiful and touching.

SewPaula said...

That is a gorgeous quilt!

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

WAY TO GO, it turned out fantastic. I can't wait to see how they end up using it and how much money it will bring in for research. Grandpa would be very proud of you.

Maureen said...

Sherry's quilt is gorgeous! The quilting turned out beautifully! I hope it is auctioned off for a lot of money to help with heart research. IT was wonderful that you volunteered to do the quilting!

Poor Holly...Emma would gladly go for a walk in her place!

Maureen

aim said...

WOWWWWWWWWWWW ++++++++++
Your quilting is COOL !!!!!!