Thursday, January 31, 2008

Bodacious, Bold & Black

WOW, am I LOVING putting the quilting on my black block of the month quilt. I'm using a Verigated King Tut thread. This is the first King Tut spool that I haven't had problems with. HOWEVER, it's because I put Sewers Aide on the spool last night so that it would be ready to quilt with today. I did have some problems with quilting on the batik stripes. What a nightmare. Makes me glad that I'm doing something else for the blocks. I ended up having to spray the quilt down with silicone spray each time I rolled the quilt. That was the only way I could avoid skipped stitches. I was going slower to begin with because I wanted nice small stitches but when I got to the batik, I had to go even slower to avoid the skips.

DSCF2292


DSCF2294


I have the whole top stippled. I had some different ideas on how to do the quilting in the blocks. I think now that the black is all stippled I'm going to go back and stipple the black fabric that is inside each of the blocks. I think it will make the bright pieces really pop. If anything, I'll do a little stitching in the ditch with Monofiliment.

You know the best part? I don't have any thread from the front peeking through to the back!!

The bad part? I have a bum bearing in my carriage. It's kind of funny because I was planning on picking up the upgraded no-flex carriage within the next month. So I'll just keep fighting with it for now!!

10 comments:

Michelle said...

I guess I posted that I loved your quilt on your newest post, but I'll say it again...Jen, this quilt looks great! AND, I just love varigated thread!!!

Carla said...

Beautiful!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

That looks wonderful. You go Girl!
Regina

Kristie said...

It looks great!!! I love how the varigated thread looks on the black. Great Job!
Kristie

Hazel said...

You did a great job I love the thread on the dark back ground .

Moneik said...

I love the varigated on the black! It looks great.

Maureen said...

I love your quilt and can't wait to start get my borders and flange on.

Suzan said...

I can't see any of your photos for some strange reason and I REALLY want to see these!!

fiddle said...

Jen it looks wonderful! I'd never have known you had so many problems with sewing it! Good Job Girl!

Suzan said...

Thank goodness...webshots is back up so I can see what everyone has been talking about! I love the meander. I haven't had any trouble with King Tut but don't even ask about YLI!