Thursday, January 17, 2008

Comedy night in the Cre8tiveQ Household

Someone has really got to tell the quilter in my household that Christmas is over. That it's time to take the Christmas wallhanging off of the front door. That she should really, really make something for winter or just have a bare door for the time being.


::::Looks Around::::

Oh crap, that quilter is ME!! Actually, I'm rather surprised that Mike hasn't either made fun of me yet or just pulled it down and brought it up stairs.

I had fully intended to start working on binding my 5 project linus quilts as soon as I walked in the door but Mike had popped a pizza in the oven, we ate, I putzed on the computer and I took a nap on the couch. I intentionally DID NOT cover up with a quilt because I figured that would keep me awake. Obviously that theroy did not work. Watched a little more TV...yadda yadda and didn't start sewing until about 9:30. I did get my 5 quilts bound though! Yeah Me!!

A few weeks ago I taught Mike about "squishy" mail. Anything squishy I need to know about right away. By about 8 he says to me, oh yeah there's a box that came for you it's on the table. OMG! It may not be squishy but the label says Sewthankful on it! Of course that counts as squishy mail. So I open my box and there's Holly crawling up my ass. I swear I think she thought treats were coming out of it. Oh wait that's right, thread IS a treat in her little mind. Sigh. So I pull the plastic off the two new types of thread I bought (Sew Fine and Masterpiece) and I'm holding them up to inspect them and there to my right is a "little" dog who is hitting me with her snout as if she's a bottle nosed dolphin and then she started smacking her lips. Sigh. Only MY dog could get as excited about thread as I do. But her excitement is for all the WRONG reasons.

Now, it's REALLY cold by us this past week. At some point in the evening Mike put on flannel pants. FLANNEL? FLANNEL? Where did he get these? I've offered to make him Flannel pants 100's of times. I'm always told he'd be too warm in flannel pants. Whatever...they're no warmer than his regular pj pants so what's the flipping deal. He just won't let me make him a pair and it really hurts my feelings. He claims he's had these for years and yet they look brand new. Now, I've warned him in the past that he's not allowed to bring clearanced flannel pants into the house from his mother when I've offered to make him many pairs sewn with LOVE. Seeing them made my blood boil just a bit. Ok, more than a bit. My mom is probably the only one who can appreciate how irked I am by this. (Remember, this is the same man who claims that a quilt is a once in a lifetime type thing and he already has two...I'm sort of surprised I let him live after THAT remark.)

I tried to switch my blog template around and Mr. Mike didn't think it looked "girlie" enough so I came back to my original template. Man, why can't they make a stretch template in pink??

It's rumored that there's Quilt Police, but I've got to tell ya, there's ALSO Quilt Frame Police. I seem to keep running across the same woman on a Yahoo Group. Boy oh boy, she thinks she's the $hit. I'd LOVE to say something but I don't want to get banned from the group. She sure doesn't believe in working with what you have (machine wise) and really makes it quite apparant. While her information is generally good she REALLY comes across as looking down her nose at anyone who doesn't have a dedicated machine for their frame. You know what? Not everyone can afford a separate machine at the time of frame purchase. Not everyone NEEDS a separate machine right away if ever. There are some of us who are quite happy with our set ups and personally, I'd rather see a person get a frame and use their current machine than not get a frame at all. I've got news for you Lady, there's no reason for people that have regular machines with have a 9"+ harp to NOT use the SAME machine on their frame AND for piecing and general sewing. These machines are made to be used. I'm only one person and can only use it in one place at a time anyway. Sure, it would be nice to have a second machine that could stay on the frame and set up all the time but not having a second is not the be all to end all.

:::stepping down off my soap box looking around so I don't trip:::


16 comments:

Morah said...

OMG talk about making someone laugh! Your post is a hoot and I love your style! Don'tcha just wish you could reach through the computer and whap some of these machine, frame, fabric snobs....

Suzan said...

Damn girl! You DID go off on a tangent!! :) Still laughing...

Debi said...

I saw your blog changed last night and I have to say I like this one better. I now what you mean about the frame/machine thing...oh well don't get worked up..your setup works for you! ps...you quilting is great.

Michelle said...

Me thinks she is over-compensating with her BIG LONG ARM quilting machine, and her fancy cars for something else that might be lacking in her life.

Regina said...

Do ya feel better now?

My husband would have a really short life if he made a comment like that- about the quilts OR the flannel pants. Grr....

And from a one machine gal (and a cheapy one at that) I hear ya on the snobbery thing! I have machine envy enough as it is since I can't drop my feed dogs or do embroidery and don't have a frame - and machine police make it so much harder to bear!

Moneik said...

I'm with you on the whole machine snobbery comment. There are a lot of people like that. I have to agree with you about making do with what you can afford. I don't think people who have never been poor can understand that concept. Your post made my afternoon! I couldn't help but laughing. There are always those same type of people on groups, and they tend to be on a lot of the same groups I am. As for Mike, make him some pants and he'll wear'em. Well, maybe not, but Paul did when he said he didn't want any and got 4 pair for Christmas and wears them all now!

Maureen said...

I still have a Christmas wallhanging up and a tree up...with the way everything has gone done...with a cold and an allergic reaction...I just don't have the time for it.

Mark is patiently waiting for his quilt...Ohh well I better move that up...just got the heat bill so it will be cold in here for awhile.

I have two machines but I don't often bring that up. I understand about people who do go on and on about their owning so many machines, etc.

Hope you have a good evening!
Maureen

Hazel said...

I just received a call from my daughter as I was reading your blog she said its either time she takes her tree down or hang valentine hearts on it ,I told her to do the heart thing .I guess we all have our pet peeves mine is when you show something ( be it a article in a magazine or your work )to somebody and they say oh thats easy .My answer always is"show me the way you did it .99 % of the time they haven't even tried it .It shuts them up real quick .You just keep doing what you have been doing ,it's coming along great .Tell Ms. Frame to go hang herself LOL

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Ms. Frame maybe someone that I have run into in the past as well.. That is why I love the people that I have gotten to know here and in my one other group. You guys are always supportive and understand that not all of us can afford the top of the line machines let alone more than one.

Heather

butrfly2200 said...

Jen, Take a deep breathe and enjoy you set up. You've been doing a great job with what you have. At least you're using it and getting your money's worth from it.
Keep up the good work. Don't let others set your mood. She's pushing some buttons with you but just forget about her and do your own thing. Love reading your blog.
:)Carol

pudge's girl said...

Very good. At least you are aware your Christmas decorations are still up. I packed mine up, came home from a trip two weeks later and someone had sneaked into the house and put my two and a half foot santa moon carving back on the wall.

Thread update when you get to it, please.

Mary

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Those aren't quilt police...they are quilt snobs! Don't take any crap. People can sometimes not be so nice. You accomplish a lot more than a lot of us, so it works for you!
Regina

Amelia said...

Stand your ground! Or stand on your soapbox and preach up a storm.

Don't let anyone steal your spirit and spunk!

fiddles said...

Jen, Talking about frame and quilt machine police! Hell, I could use you at our next quilt guild meeting! You go girl, and don't stop for no break! LOL

Peony said...

Whoever this Chick is needs a good stiff kick to her ego.

fiddles said...

Well, I've been banned now too. Oh well. At least I got my 2 cents in! HA!