Sunday, January 20, 2008

Herky Jerky

I just gave a whole new meaning to the technique of Herky Jerky quilting and that is so NOT the technique I was trying to accomplish!

I stippled the whole dresden plate quilt and then I decided I'd roll the quilt back so I could free motion in the petals and the centers. LOL. OMG, I'm NOT good at the whole fine detail type quilting! I don't think I'll ever be able to follow a quilting pattern, that is FOR SURE.



DSCF2257




DSCF2258




DSCF2259



Don't get me wrong, it looks good enough for a first shot at it. It's a quilt for me, not anyone else. I'll just imagine petals waving in the breeze. Or, like my Mom always says, "You wouldn't see it if it was on the back of a galloping horse." Gosh, it's too bad I live in the city!!

I have 4 more rows of Dresden Plates to do, so hopefully tomorrow it will come off the frame and then I can bind that quilt and a few other things and I'll have a few more things I can mark off my list.

I made some great progress on Finishing it Up even though I didn't get to cross anything off.

  • My 2007 BOM quilt, I bought the backing. I just need to run a seam across half of it and get the black batting. Then it's ready to quilt. I have my thread all ready to go.
  • The Sunflower Dresden Plate quilt is in the home stretch with it's quilting. Then it will just need bindng put on.
  • The tree skirt just needs binding.

That's three more things that I should be able to cross off shortly. There's 10 days left; I bet there's quite a bit more I can accomplish. I'm itching to start something new.

So now I've quilted three things on my frame since Mike and I put the adjusting legs with leveling mounts on my frame. Even at the lowest setting it was about a 4-1/2" difference. It was nice to see things at a higher level, less bending of my neck. I think for the next quilt I will try one notch higher just to see what that's like.

Can I just say that I'm happy to see this weekend end? Between all the drama, some odd family stuff and the Packers Loss....I'm exhausted! Yes, I actually watched the game while I quilted. With the sound off so I wouldn't freak out the pooch. I think I missed every play where we scored except one.

12 comments:

Gina said...

I can't see the problem. I think it looks great. Well done you for trying something different.

When have you ever seen an absolutely perfect sunflower in real life. Never.

love and hugs xxx

Suzan said...

Commenting on two things:
1. Love your tree skirt!
2. The FM on your sunflower quilt is perfectly ok! Think of it as an artistic impression. Each one will be different and that's the way flowers are supposed to be!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

You're too hard on yourself. It's beautiful and a job well done! Pat yourself on the back, girl! I'm not doing nearly as well as you are with my new frame. Still having tension/thread problems and I've been too frustrated with it to even try to figure it out for the past month. Might go back at it soon, as it's been calling my name.....
Regina

Kristie said...

I think it looks just fine! You are too hard on yourself! I think it is great that you branched out! Great Job!!!!
Kristie

Hazel said...

Like everything else you'll get better in time .I think its great .Give yourself a pat on the back for being brave enough to try something new .

Moneik said...

Great job on the quilting. It looks wonderful. Glad to see you tried something new. It's always hard to learn as we want to get things done fast.

Amelia said...

Remember this quilt is one of a kind..an original, not another one like it anywhere...a true treasure that only you own! chin up- chest out - walk proud...you have created something very "special"

Bella said...

I love your sunflower...and i personally love the Herky Jerky method of quilting....so there!

Carol Van Rooy said...

I think it looks fantastic, and if your happy with it than that's al lthat matters.

Maureen said...

Jen it looks nice...I don't think it is Herky Jerky...I agree with Suzan it is artistic expression! No two flowers are the same!!!

Okay now let's see if Emma's picture appears in the corner...I am trying to get this to work...Keep your fingers crossed!

Maureen said...

It Worked! It Worked! Ohh I have my happy dance going on over here!!! I see a picture of EMMA!

jillquilts said...

I think it looks great! How did you do on the last blocks compared to the first blocks? I find that you get the hang of it towards the end. But it still looks great!