Thursday, January 3, 2008

I "tap" too much

So here I sit reading blogs and yahoo messages and I was tapping to a beat that I had going in my head on my notebook. Mike informed me that my tapping was JUST as annoying as my mom's humming. Sigh.

I am officially no longer sucking free wireless internet from the neighbors. Mike and I went to the Time Warner store at Mayfair Mall tonight to change our highspeed interent over to wireless and then of course dropped a small fortune across the street at Best Buy for our wireless router and wireless nic card for the desktop. I've got the router all set up. I couldn't get the printer to share but we've already got a back up plan for that so all is well with the world. Now we'll be able to move the desktop PC out into the living room and the studio will be officially called the sewing stuido. I can't believe that there was no cursing at the router...it just worked...as did the laptop when I got it. I'm not used to technology working right out of the box, can you tell?

Oh, and can I mention that long ago when we signed up for Road Runner High Speed we had been AOL users. We were going to cancel and just do Road Runner. Well they offered Road Runner with FREE AOL (this was before AOL went free). Oh no, after the first 6 months apparantly we were paying Time Warner FOR our AOL. Yeah I guess their bills just wern't CLEAR on that. So they were able to change our internet to $15 less per month and then $10 got added per month for the wireless. At least we came out $5 ahead each month on the deal. However, now I have to call to cancel that AOL. I've heard horror stories about that so wish me luck.

This is my public announcement to my Mom and Dad that unless one of you wants this FRIGGING desk it's going out...not out to the storage unit....OUT OUT. I've hated the desk since it first came in the house and I'm the poor sap that got stuck with it. It's huge, it's beastly. It's desktop is far too low and hurts my back. Yes I realize it cost a small fortune but that's not a reason to keep a piece of furniture when it's already been used for 20+ years. Look, it's almost a frigging antique.

Do you hear me? I made a public announcement.

We also picked up my glasses from Sam's club. Wow...low and behold. We dropped them off on a Thursday, they came back on a Thursday...WITH A HOLIDAY IN BETWEEN. It's a festivus miracle. Not 3 weeks like my previous Eye Doctor's office that I've gone to since my first pair of glasses back in 3rd grade. My lenses were a tad too large for my frames. But what did I expect? I couldn't leave my glasses there. So I had options...man, I like options. She could grind them down a tad to make them fit in 10 minutes but I lost a little of the roll and polish finish or they could grind them down and then send them out to get the roll and polish back. I chose option number 1 and she was SHOCKED. I was like no biggie, I just got them to use up flex dollars, I'm not wearing them out of the house anyway. I've had them on for about an hour now and things are clear but wow...a little dizzy if I move my head quickly. But I'm sure I'll get used to them. It's not like I wear them for many hours in a day anyway.

Nothing quilty today but the weekend is coming near....I plan on throwing at least two quilts on my frame!!



8 comments:

Michelle said...

Louie's computer is hard wired to a modem, and connected to a wireless router. My two computers have wireless cards in them, and the computer out in his shop has a wireless card. All three of these computers run off of one wireless router box. I have awesome internet speed. I can't imagine how nice it would be to have a laptop, 'go anywhere you want', internet connection. Someday.... don't mind me, I'm just dreaming......

Glad your glasses worked out good. I say, take the desk to Goodwill. Someone will LOVE it, and you'll help out Goodwill in the process. Hey, I hear there is a Goodwill close by! (grin_

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

so do you think with ahole in the top it would be a good quilting table for my machine?

Anonymous said...

I was going to mention donating the desk to goodwill or some charity. I know a domestic abuse shelter near where I live will take anything as they help to 'furnish' the appartments for women starting out again and need everything. Just a thought.
Glad you like the wireless. I can't imagine life without ours.. I can even take the laptop out on the patio and be connected to the internet!!!!

Moneik said...

I'm glad you guys are moving into the modern world of technology! Wireless is totally the way to go. I know when I set mine up I was shocked and in love with it. Paul and I could be on our computers at the same time. Then I set my grandpa up with it and he couldn't believe it. I've converted my mom and my aunt now too!

Amelia said...

Hey, that is great the glasses worked out as wonderful as they did. I may have to check out Sam;s next time I get glasses.

as far as computers go...I had better stick with what I have. Being my age, I do fair...and I don't think daughter has time to train her Mother on something new.

Kristie said...

Richard is a TAPPER too! I think his is due to stress. He drives me crazy with it. I am constantly telling him to stop.

Lucky you on the wireless! I live so far out in the woods that I don't even have high speed internet yet. Our telephone company has DSL, but it is not available at my house...YET! I am still fighting with them over that.
Kristie

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Hey Jen...Stop tapping...I can hear it from here....LOL...
Just kidding...I can see your head exploding already...
See ya...
Regina

Maureen said...

My Dad is a tapper...he taps on everything...a book...his glass case...ohh yeah the menu at the restaurants. It can be annoying at times and yet at others I don't notice it until my Mom says something...I understand where Mike is coming from sometimes you notice it more than others.

So what is the verdict of your announcement? What is the fate of the desk?

Glad your glasses worked out...one of these days maybe I will catch you wearing them - LOL. My brother rarely wears his...once he had to because of an eye infection...I think that almost killed him - again LOL!

Ohh I love wireless and a laptop. Right after Mark bought my laptop last year for Christmas for me, he bought a wireless router and installed it. I love the luxury of being able to take the laptop where ever I want to go within the house. This summer I might even take it outside and see how far in the yard I can go. Emma would love that ... ohh why didn't I think of that sooner?