Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Quilting with the Muppets


Growing up I ALWAYS LOVED the Muppets. I loved the show, the movies, the cartoon of Muppet Babies, the Christmas records the Movie Soundtracks. All of it, I LOVE the Muppets. That's why the Muppet and Sesame street very scientific quizzes made me giggle so much.


Years back, before I could really call myself a quilter I went to a quilt show with my Mom and there was this Muppet applique quilt and it "spoke" to me. Yeah I know...if quilts were speaking to me way back then maybe I SHOULD have been committed!!

Last year when my Mom and I were waiting for family to arrive at the airport from Arizona I wandered into the used books store. There on the shelf was a used copy of "Quilting with the Muppets." For $10 it was mine. It's applique patterns of all of my favorite characters. I immediately thought it would make an awesome quilt for myself.

Of course, now that you've all taken this highly scientific quiz and have Muppets associated with you, it really could become a quilt of all my "friends."

I pulled this book off my shelf last night to browse through it. Although I latched onto it the day I purchased it I never spent a huge amount of time reading through it. It's really a very cool book.

The book is not written by quilters. It was compiled by the Muppet Costume Designers. The book talks a LOT about friendship quilts. Did you know that each time someone retires in the Muppet family or has a baby they make a friendship quilt? There are many picture of quilts they have made. Some are traditional blocks, some are character blocks. It's really a sweet book.

It's a shame we don't do more swapping of actual blocks with signatures in this day and age.


See, now THIS, this is something a person like myself could use scraps on!



5 comments:

Kristie said...

The Muppets are so cute and sweet. Maybe we could set up some kind of swap, there are several of us to do it.
Kristie

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

Oh I remember that book it was a great one. Maybe this should be your next FUN quilt for yourself.

Anonymous said...

I have that book and I LOVE it! It's definitely on my list for ME. I mean who doesn't love the Muppets? Have you seen the Muppet quilt on craftser.org? It's amazing!

btw...you have an awesome blog. I check it every day (one of very few). You are sooo talented and funny.

Ursula

Maureen said...

That sounds like a really cool book...one of these days can I look at it?

I enjoyed the muppets when I was younger.

quiltin cntrygrl said...

I agree with Kristie I think maybe we could get a swap together. I am going to surf the net for muppet coloring pages.. might find some great applique. If not a muppet quilt a signature quilt. That would make a perfect addition to my new coming home.. smiles

Heather