Friday, January 25, 2008

Random Acts of Kindness - It's the little things

Two and a half years ago I developed a blood clot in my arm after a trip to the ER when I had a horrific migraine; they screwed up putting in my IV. I ended up having to be on blood thinners and had to have my blood tested during that 6 month period anywhere from 1-3 times a week. I'm not good at being stuck with needles, I used to pass out. That is until Rochelle started drawing my blood. She put me at ease. We developed quite the rapport during those 6 months. For the longest time, it was easier to talk about her calling her my "Blood Sucker" or "Vampiress" because then Mike, my Mom and friends all knew who I was talking about. Nearing the end I made her a pair of earrings that I thought she'd love because I wanted her to know she made a difference in my crappy situation. Whenever I go back for lab work, I request her.

Mike just went in to get some lab work done. We had never been in there together but she knew my husband's name was Mike. Sure enough, she put two and two together and made the connection that this was my husband. She just sent him home with a bag of "treats" for me. How fun is that?

I know, you're all thinking what kind of treats could the Vampiress possibly send? Well, I sort of got hooked on those Grandma's Oatmeal Raisin cookies...so I'm pretty sure that's what will be in my little goodie bag!! When they were running low she'd even stash some to the side for me.


9 comments:

Michelle said...

Some people are just angels sent from heaven, aren't they? I consider you one of them.

Heather said...

it is so nice to know that people care. I have had several military nurses/doctors that have not done real great while taking blood or inserting IVs. But the ones that I know actually care are the ones that will spend 20 minutes looking for a childrens needle to draw blood because they think the standard one is too big for my veins.. michelle is right there are angels out there and they sometimes find us.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Don't lose sight of the fact that people react to what YOU give out. Ever notice that if you speak very nicely to a person who is serving you in any way, clerk at a store, waitress, nurse...that they usually adapt that same attitude? And .. if you're crabby with someone...you get that back? You had a lot to do with the way she treats you also! And...some people are just nice!

Hazel said...

Yes you are so right ,I have had 5 EKG's in the last week , every time I ask if it was ok I always got the same reply ,the results will be sent to your doctor .Today I got a Jamaican lady when I was talking to her she said I can see you on some meds but don't worry no heart transplant LOL .Even that little bit of information made my day ,it doesn't take much to put a patient at ease .I made sure to tell her how much I appreciated her kindness .

Moneik said...

It really is the little things that count! I'm sure she'll always remember you and your kindness to her too. We had a guy in the swing bed part of the hospital and he always ordere corsages for all the employee's, even the housekeepers and cooks to wear on all holidays, Easter, Christmas, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day. So we all tended to treat him with the same respect he gave us.

Carol Van Rooy said...

Funny, the only time I've ever passed out was once when I was watching John give blood. I found out later I was pregnant with my daughter.

Unsure if it has any relationship but perhaps the early stages of pregnancy was having it's toll.

jillquilts said...

That is so nice! How sweet! It's almost like you won something! Now will you leave me alone about winning???? :D

Oh, and I just looked at the blog ring. We have people!!!

Christine said...

Well that's sweet! Geez what an ordeal you had to go through though.

granny lyn said...

When my daughter was little, we lived in Peds, so I know of which you speak, I just got caught up with your whole blog, and I am tipping my hat to your generosity!!! and your skill!!
thanks for all the humor, also,
lyn