Saturday, January 5, 2008

Scraps Revisited

My post about scraps wasn't because I don't know what to do with them. I know what can all be made out of them. I have tons of patterns, I know lots of ways to cut them. I'm overwhelmed with the amount of them that I have and no desire to ever use them.

My scraps are very organized. They're in 2 Gallon Zip Lock Bags and they are sorted by color. I have TWO, yes two 18-gallon Rubbermaid Tubs of scraps. I've been quilting for 9 years. I've made over a hundred quilts you can imagine what I all have.

My point was, I'm too anal to make a scrap quilt. I don't care if it's for myself or for charity. When I do them I think they're hideous and I simply DO NOT ENJOY enjoy the process of scrap quilting. I look at other scrap quilts and I think they're wonderful. I try to do the same thing and my quilts don't turn out that way. There's something about it that I just don't get becuase I must not have the same type of scraps that the rest of you have.


I already do a LOT for charity. There's no disputing that. I enjoy what I do, but I would not enjoy putting together scrap quilts for charity. Life's too short to do a type of quilting that I don't enjoy.

So after discussing it with Mike, I've made a few decisions:
  • Go through my scraps and pull out the ones that I'd like to keep or am not ready to part with. Keep them sorted by colors. When finished they must fit in ONE 18-Gallon Tub and I'm only going to allow that tub to be between 1/2 & 3/4 full.
  • Let my cousin Jean take a gander through my scraps. She's mentioned a few times that she wished she had some scraps to try things with.
  • The balance of my scraps will go to Renea, Michelle's friend. Renea makes scrap quilts for Project Linus. Since Project Linus is also my pet project I feel good about this. The scraps will still go to a great cause but someone who enjoys working with scraps will be doing the sewing.

I feel better for having made this decision. I'll go through those bins in February during my collection busting Month. Soon after it should be decent traveling weather for a trip down to Iowa to deliver my "goods."

9 comments:

Michelle said...

You are so sweet,Jen. Renea will be thrilled. I won't tell her though. I'll wait until you bring them and can give them to her yourself. She is our 'Scrap Queen'. Hmmmmm...wonder if I should try to find her a crown at one of the 'thrift' stores.

This is what I do with my scraps. Anything bigger than, or closely resembling a fat quarter, gets cut into a fat quarter and put in my 'fat quarter file' I love having fat quarters! Anything bigger than or resembling a 5" square, gets cut into a 5" square. The rest used to go to Renea, but now, I have started cutting 2" squares. Don't ask me why, as I don't know why. I imagine one day, Renea will find herself getting another load of 5" and 2" squares, and she will feel like she won the lottery!

Love ya!
Michelle

pudge's girl said...

That sounds like a great plan. After quilting in five states temporarily and sewing at the same time, I have duplicates, too much, why did I ever buy this, and scraps. I called the local high school home economics teacher and she said she would take fabric, thread, zippers, binding, anything. So that is where mine is headed. Still thinking of doing your computer wrap if I can find the pattern, Mary

Hazel said...

Good for you ,I think you will feel better after your done .And just think how happy you will make your friend .

Nancy-Rose said...

Good idea! I'm a minimalist at heart - I find "extras" creatively constipating!!!

Get rid of it! That's why I made those crumb blocks the other day. I couldn't stand the fact that I was "collecting" so much stuff - it had to go. Luckily, I DO enjoy scrappy piecing.

Nancy

Luv to quilt said...

Jen, That is so kind of you to give Renea your scraps. Project Linis is a wonderful program.

Your are right.You have to make the kind of quilts you enjoy and you sure make some nice ones.

Maureen said...

Jen what a great thing to do! I am sure Renea will have a great time with them and you will feel good giving them to a person making quilts for Project Linus!

Again I am with you on scrap quilts I just want to organize or plan the quilt an that is just not me. A friend of mine told me she puts her scraps in a bag and just pulls out a piece and adds it, on and on this goes until she is done with a block and then quilt. I couldn't do this - no plan and no matching.

Heather said...

Jen it sounds great!! As long as those scraps still make you happy weither you use them or you give them to some one else to enjoy makes no difference. Not only are you doing something for Renea but your contributing to your pet project at the same time. I think it is the perfect solution.

Heather

Anonymous said...

I keep a bag on the door of my sewing room and throw scraps into it that are too small to do anything with. When I have a lot, I make a dog bed - putting all the scraps (including scraps of batting) into a sewn piece of fleece and then sew the opening closed. There is an animal rescue in my home town and they love to get them. I have two ready to go that I finished yesterday.

Moneik said...

I think you've come up with a great plan. Mine still fit in a 2 gallon tote. I have to keep things the size of a fat quarter or more than a 1/4 yard, but the rest go in the bucket.