Wednesday, January 23, 2008

There's been an adoption....

There's a new leading lady in Mike's life. "She" doesn't have a name yet but at least the theme to Sanford and Son is now out of my head.

We went to see Pat McInerney at Boucher Chevrolet in Waukesha. We've bought a few cars from him in the past; Mike's in 1995, my Mom and I each got our cars in 2000. Mike's Dad has bought quite a few cars from him plus many leases for the company he works at. It's just nice because it's no muss, no fuss, no wheeling and dealing. You go in, tell them what you're after, they send you on a test drive or two, run numbers a few different ways, you choose and you drive out with a truck.

Pat is of a rare breed of car salesmen. I think he's so successful because he's so up front; cut and dry. He remembers EVERYTHING about his buyers. Mike told him his truck was dead and he immediately said, "You bought that S-10 when you worked at Elliot's in '95." Ok, WHO remembers stuff like that just off the cuff?? It's not like we drove in with the S-10, we had my car. He asked how mine was running, he asked how my Mom's was running.

Now, when my Mom bought hers, it was just her and I at the dealership one night. He met me only a month before but he knew I was engaged to Mike, he knew Mike's family. At that point my Mom told him what she was thinking of buying. He pulled some keys, and we drove off the lot for an extended test drive that lasted 3-4 days. Besides taking her name, didn't take a copy of her license or anything. That just doesn't happen in this day and age!!

So we go to test drive trucks. First we're in a Silverado that we both agree is out of our budget so we take it for a short spin as to not get too attached. Then we take out a Colorado. Sigh, comparably...the Colorado was just a truck. But, Mike agreed that it was more in our budget and he'd live with the Colorado. We go inside to run numbers and it turns out there were more cash back bonus' and dealer incentives on the Silverado and it became CHEAPER than the Colorado. Now, watching my husband out of the corner of my eye he's becoming more and more giddy as Pat's running numbers. Giddy like a school girl, giddy. I mention that I'm too short to get into said truck and the numbers are re-run with running boards. LOL, I'm TOO SHORT!! This sucker is TALL. On the test drive I put one leg up, one hand on the "oh shit bar," throw my other arm over to Mike and he pulled me in.

We go to fill out our paper work and of course the form has things on it like: How long have you been at your current employer, how long have you lived at your residence, income, how much in housing expenses per month? We had more trouble trying to come up with these numbers. We were laughing so hard. Mike's out with his calculator on his cell phone, I'm writing. We couldn't even decide how long we've been married. It all seems to revolve around Holly. She's how old? Ok, we've lived in the apartment for 6 months when we got her. So that would be? Employment...huh...I started there 6 months before we were married. So that would be? Mike's like, we were married in 1999. I'm like, no we were married in 2001. The consensus...we've been married too long. Can't exactly write "too long" down for how long I've been at my current employer now can I? Income...well, what do you make per hour...I dunno. Came up with an "ish" and multiplied. Heck, I just know what's on my pay check and that's after taxes and health insurance because that in our world is the important number. Housing expenses...that was a laugh too. I write out 12 checks each time we sign our lease. I enter them and all their dates into Quicken and we just grab a check at the beginning of each month and drop it off. I'm not the dropper off...I don't know. Another "ish." Employer phone number. Huh, honestly a head scratcher. I know my direct line, I rattle off our 800 numbers a hundred times per day but our regular number...I couldn't get past the area code and three digit exchange. Yeah, ended up writing down the 800 number and calling it good. Honestly, anywhere we go, Mike and I become a comedy act.

The dealerships have to run a "terrorist report" to make sure you're not a terrorist. All I wanted to know was what do they do when you come up as a terrorist? Their answer? We can't sell you a car. Ok, I GET THAT. I want to know, how you come back and tell said terrorist that you can't sell them a car without endangering your life?? Mike decides that they're going to walk into a J.D. Byrider not a Chevy Dealership. Ok, that works for me.

The ink is dry, the financial statements signed and we're waiting for them to put the plates on. I'm watching Mike and he's about to crawl out of his skin. Mike's comment, "Oh my God, I just went from a little boy truck to a MAN truck." Giddy laughter ensues.

So Lucy, let's not forget about Lucy. Mike decided the trade in just wasn't going to be worth very much so we'd take the tax deduction instead and donate her somewhere. She's currently in my Mom's extra parking space looking decrepit, old and well...small.

Had it not been -8 over night, I almost think Mike would have wanted to spend the night in his new truck. As we went in, he turned around and just stared at his new Dark Blue Metallic Silverado for a few moments, pinching himself to make sure she was real.

Sigh, a boy and his truck. Er, uh, Man and his truck.....

9 comments:

Moneik said...

Oh I am sooooooo jealous of Mike! What I wouldn't give for that pickup, especially the color! I am so happy to hear he got the pickup of his dreams. I would love it! Paul has a 2004 Chevy Silverado diesel which he loves. I have a cheyenne, which doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Silverado, but has the same body and look of one.

jillquilts said...

Oh geez! How funny! I do the same thing with the time frame questions. I can't remember how old the pups are, but I know how long I have been in my condo! :)

Hazel said...

Congratulations on the new truck you two sound like a real comedy team ,maybe you should put your act on the road LOL .Now what will you do about getting into the truck ,you could always have Mike build you a step stool LOL I can see you now trying to get in and Mike pushing your behind up to help you LOL

Regina said...

oohhh

Aren't happy endings beautiful!

So when do you quilt him seat covers?

Jen said...

Are you kidding Regina? My mom offered him one of her trash bags that she's been making and he looked appauled at the suggestion.

Heather said...

I would love to be able to put one of your moms car trash bags in my silverado.. but then again the license plate frame says silly cowboy trucks are for girls so EVERYONE knows that a girl owns the truck.. LOL.. I showed my dad some of the pictures of the things that you and Cindy had made and he asked for a car trash bag but asked if I could make it a square instead of a mitten.. I was sure that I could figure that out.. He says hes still waitig on his quiilt.. LOL.. me too

Heather

Heather said...

Congrats on the truck!! He'll be happy for ever.. now is the time to negotiate for something you want.. ha ha while he's giddy about his truck

Heather

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

I saw the new truck last night and let me tell you it's huge. It makes Lucy seem like a toy. Mike if you read this don't worry about Lucy I said hello to her when I left this morning and again when I got home tonight. I think she suspects somethings up.

Maureen said...

When Mark got his 2001 4x4 S10 pick up with all the bells and whisles...we looked at a Quad Cab Silverado...I thought that would be great if we needed to pick up friends...go on a shop hop...ohh those were my images...sorry but the S10 was the better option for Mark...anyways I had hoped his "Lucy" (old truck doesn't have a name)...anyways that truck never went to truck heaven...it still lingers...right now it is rusting to death somewhere on Mark's parents property in Ottawa.