Thursday, February 21, 2008

Audio Books

Internet Access at home is still Hit or Miss. So if I seem to disappear, don't worry about me...too much. =)

I realize that audio books are a convenience, but why are they SOOOO expensive when that has to be a much cheaper media than printing the books? Especially when you want to download one?

You buy a paper back book in the store for $6 to $12. I read it, my Mom reads it, most likely it gets passed to a few more people before we call it "done." A downloadable audio book...$22 bucks! Now, if you do this through iTunes, they know you can't share it.

Now, I can see if you're purchasing it at the store. Most books are 6+ discs. Harry Potter books; some of those are 17+ discs. There's a lot of packaging, a lot of shelf space. But we're talking about digital media here.

I do get a lot of audio books through the Wisconsin Library Consortium which are free and downloadable for 7 days. But honestly...how can a person like me get through an audio book that quick? And of course, they don't have the best selection.

Seriously though, why are downloadable audio books sooo expensive? There's no overhead there.

Anyone have a clue?



5 comments:

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

It's still somewhat "new" I think. And..as long as the market allows those prices, it'll continue. Supply and Demand? That's the only reason I can think of. I'm like you, it's gotta be much cheaper to produce. Hope you're having a great weekend....
Regina in MI

jillquilts said...

I have no idea, but I am interested in the reason, too.

Carol Van Rooy said...

That's intriguing, I would have never known. The only audio book I have ever listened to came from the library... FREE<

Kristina said...

Go to www.Audible.com, it is a subscription services (like Netflix if you prefer CDs or instand download) for audio books. I personnally have given this as a gift and it was loved and the price is quite reasonable.

Moneik said...

That's interesting. I'm thinking I may want to give them a try, but not at that price.