Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Life's Not Sew Askew After All...

Mike made a yummy chili tonight for dinner and while we ate we watched CSI. Have I mentioned lately how addicted I've become to watching CSI episodes? The original set in Las Vegas is definitely my favorite followed by New York and well...if nothing better is on I'll watch Miami. Another one of my favorite shows is Crossing Jordan but I think I read that it got cancelled.

Looking back over my blog over the past week I realized how picture poor it has been. Hopefully this will make up for it. I'm typing my blog while listening to my Norah Jones radio station on Pandora. They just suggested Indigo Girls. WOW, I completely forgot about them. This thing ROCKS!!

My ears are askew. I swear the inside of one of my ears is way smaller than the other. My right ear can wear an ear bud like nothing doing. My left ear, it's constantly falling out and driving me nuts.

I spent a few hours tonight working my my Aunt Karen's art quilt, "A Bit Askew." I really thought I'd have a hard time with these strips being all wonky and I'm actually LOVING the process. I could actually see using up my own scraps this way for charity quilts. I bet you never thought you'd hear that come out of MY mouth!! I wouldn't mind making an art quilt for myself. Maybe I'll do a mini for my long cubical wall at work. I think it's going to look really sharp above her fire place.

I'm making 28 blocks set 4x7. I am working on all of the blocks at the same time, but 15 of them were the right size for cutting down and the other 13 still need a few strips attached to each one. I should be able to add those strips and assemble the top tomorrow night. How cool is that?

Here's a few of the blocks before they are cut down:

Blocks before they're cut down

13 Blocks that are

Here's a picture of what the wall hanging is shaping up to look like so far. I can't stop looking at it on the floor.

15 blocks completed

I'm beginning to be afraid of quilting this one. What was I thinking? I have problems quilting batiks and this quilt is ALL batiks!! Moron!! I guess I'll just spray it down good with silicone spray and hope for the best. I was thinking of quilting it with monofilament but now I'm not so sure that's too hot of an idea.

I thought I'd post a picture of our new computer area in the living room. For those of you who have been to our house, it's perpendicular to the couch - back where my sewing table used to be. Now we just need to get the big honkin desk out of my sewing room and then I can finish re-organizing my room.

Living Room Desk Setup

Michelle wanted to see a picture of my cute little iPod. I attempted to take a picture of it in my hand so you could see just how tiny it is. It's not the best shot but it works. When I had seen them online when I was doing research, I knew by the dimensions that it was small, but WOW seeing it in person I was just floored at it's size. Now, if anyone wants to start a pool on when the first time I misplace it and how long it takes me to find it again; I won't be offended because honestly it's just a matter of time!!

Ipod Nano

Actually, I just held the ipod up to this picture and the above picture is it's actual size. How funny is that?

I guess things are a bit askew after all. I noticed earlier that my pink ipod and my pink blue tooth headset for my cell phone are two totally different pinks. Yeah I know, if that's the worst thing I've got going on, I'm doing pretty good. LOL. No, really it's just something silly I noticed and said out loud just to get an eye roll out of Mike.

You may or may not have noticed, but my Blogoversary is coming up, as is my 600th post. I should hit both around the same time. To celebrate, start watching for contests and giveaways! You never know when one might pop up!

12 comments:

Suzan said...

I am lovin' the quilt for your aunt! I really like batiks and they don't go with my decor at all but something like this would look great in the living room of my "bargello boy". His wife asked me for a wall hanging and this could be the one!

Michelle said...

The quilt looks great! That could be one I would like too. Like I said before, what a nice thing you are doing for your aunt!

I love your IPOD! I want one!!!! It looks like it would fit the base, speakers, and radio I already have. Does it do video?

Have a great day, and I hope that today, for you, is Wonderful Wednesday!
Love, Michelle

jillquilts said...

That quilt is really cool! I love the colors!

Speaking of being askew - I was in bed at 9:30 last night. How askew is that for me??

Barb said...

Jen ~ I've been "lurking" for several months now but have to come out to say I LOVE the quilt you are doing for your Aunt. I too had my doubts when you first showed it but WOW.
Also wanted to let you know that, yes, Crossing Jordan has been cancelled but if you liked that show you'll love "Women's Murder Club" with Angie Harmon & company. The vibe is very much the same. I think the show is "off" right now because of the strike but catch it if you can.
Barb (also a Lazy girl and a 25 weeker!)

Nancy-Rose said...

I am in serious love with your A Bit Askew quilt. (yes, I want to marry it!)

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Thats a beautiful design. And the fabrics are awesome. You sound much much better. I got the impression the migrane ended. Good for you. Like the ipod. Very cool. I can never keep those earbuds in either. But for me, it's both ears. My kids say I'm not putting them in right...How many ways are there to insert them in your ear? Duh!
Regina in MI

Anonymous said...

Seems like you're feeling better and that's good. I like the way your aunt's quilt is turning out. Beautiful colors.
ursula

Regina said...

Awesome quilt - that is going to look so good when it is all together.

LOVE Indigo Girls. Also try KT Tunstall - I think she might be right up your alley.

Moneik said...

Your quilt for your aunt is turning out awesome. I had really good plans, but they didn't happen last night. Hopefully tonight I'll get more done. I'm so mad I can't get the podcast on my mp3 player! Paul is going to have to play with it tonight.

Connie said...

I think that quilt is flat out stunning! Wow--great colors and texture! Regarding your ear canal that is askew--you can buy ear buds that come with three different sizes of really soft rubber tips on them--that way you can put the right size on for each ear--trust me, I got 'em for my I-pod, and they are awesome!

Kristie said...

I LOVE that pattern!!! The fabrics look great in that wallhanging! Wonderful job!!!
Kristie

Deb (vtquilter) said...

Love the quilt blocks! If you loaded your music to your computer to load the ipod... you can always just play the music through the computer while sewing so your ears don't hurt... (sorry if typos - typing one handed while holding sleeping baby)...