Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A Quilt for Kristie

She's got it! It got delivered!!! Wahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!


On Saturday my Mom and I went to the UPS store to ship out a box for our dear friend Kristie.


This project was one month in the making. Ten friends from three countries banded together to make her quilt. I collected the blocks and this last week got the top assembled, added the borders and quilted it. My mom put the binding on and then I sewed on the label.


We went with 12" blocks and in addition to the blocks I had everyone send in a 6" square of a fabric used in their block as well as a 2-1/2" x WOF strip. The 6" squares were used for the corner stones and the 2-1/2" strips were used for the binding. It was nice to have these because it made the quilt look more cohesive than if I would have chosen something separate for the sashing. A few of the blocks came without signatures so I pulled matching threads out of my stash and used the alphabet on my 6600 to put their first names on.



To make the sashing I decided to employ the "Dissapearing Nine Patch" technique that is all the rage these days. The blocks were 12-1/2" and I wanted 2" sashing. I cut the sashing to be 12-1/2" x 5" and the corner stones at 5". I assembled them into a larger Nine Patch like this:



Sashing - Dissapearing 9 patch style

Once cut apart, they had their sashing built right in:

Sashing - Dissapearing 9 patch Style


After mixing them up I sewed the top together. The quilt was to be set 4 blocks across and 5 blocks down. I assembled it to 3 blocks across and 4 blocks down. I then had 8 blocks that still needed edges with sashing.


Keep in mind, this was an experiment! I wasn't thinking clear enough and I turned those 8 blocks into 2 more 9 patches. Now to do this, I also needed to cut 4 charm squares in half. Of course, since you're seeing the picture you can so see what was going to happen, right?


DSCF2285


Yeah, I ended up with 8 blocks that had sashing on all 4 sides. Too Much Sashing!! I really only needed sashing on 3 sides for all but one of the 8 blocks. In retrospect, I should have just made it a 3 patch of block, sashing, block leaving the top edges exposed.

DSCF2286


So, I had to do a little ripping. But that's ok because I've come up with an easier way to do sashing. Hopefully someone else out there in the land of blog will try it and like it as well!!


Here's our finished Quilt put together with the binding, quilted and binding put on by my Mom.


Kristie's Quilt


Row 1 - Cindy, Jen, Hazel (Lori), Nancy
Row 2 - Jill, Jen, Gina, Cindy
Row 3 - Nancy, Gina, Maureen, Jill
Row 4 - Rhoda, Moneik, Michelle, Jen
Row 5 - Michelle, Michelle, Michelle, Maureen


Here's our label with an awesome phrase from Michelle:

Kristie's Quilt Lable


Of course, another new thing that I learned was when you're heat setting your label...don't decide to spray Mary Ellen's Best Press on it because it WILL make your label bleed. Sigh. I just added a little "love" into it. Here I thought I was just getting folded edges nice and crisp. Live and Learn!!


10 comments:

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

Yipppppeeeeeee mission accomplished and I know she is going to cherish it forever.

Moneik said...

Yeah! Our stalking is finally over! I am so glad it arrived all safe and sound. You couldn't have picked a better day for it to make it's arrival. I know Kristie will love it forever.

Regina said...

What a beautiful quilt -and I love your idea of the sashing technique. You need to do a tutorial on that - minus the extra binding - and get that out there! It's a great idea!!

Kim said...

Wonderful project, it is beautiful and surely will be loved and cherished. Good job everyone! A very generous and sweet gift.

Kristie said...

Yes, I recieved it today, and I must say a big THANK YOU to everyone of you. I will cherish this quilt forever. I can't tell you how much it means to me, that you all would make this for me.
Kristie

Maureen said...

Yeah I am so glad that she received the quilt! You rock...thanks for putting it together, quilting it, and making the label.

Maureen

Hazel said...

Glad I could be a part of this quilt .And a big thank you to Jen and Cindy for all your work putting it together .

AJ said...

You are so sweet for doing this for Kristie.

Nancy said...

From reading Kristie's post after she got it, I think it arrived on a very good day for her! It was fun to participate in this - many thanks to Jen and Cindy for doing so much of it!

butrfly2200 said...

What a wonderful quilt. Sorry to have missed out on helping with this. Somehow I haven't been keeping up with my reading. Just read Kristie's blog today and discovered her problems.My thoughts are prayers are with you Kristie. Enjoy that lovely quilt, Kristie and take care of yourself.
:)Carol