Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sewing Away on a Sunday

You probably all are thinking that I fell off the face of the earth. Really, I haven't. I just haven't had time lately to comment on everyone's blogs. I'm hoping to get to that later tonight.

I've spent most of my day today working on my Moda-U block of the month quilt. I realized that one of my blocks was the complete wrong size. I think it was off by a good 1/2 inch. I'm pretty sure I mis-printed my Triangulations paper when I made the 1/4 square triangles. It's ok because I didn't like the colors in the block to begin with. This is my new block number 7.

Moda-U Block #7 Replacement
Here's the old.
Moda-U BOM #7
The green was just much too overpowering in the original. I like it a lot better with the lighter green.

Here's my top all assembled. Now it only needs borders.
Moda U Quilt Assembly in Progress
It's getting a piano key border but I thought it needed a little punch before that got added so I put a narrow burgundy border on.
Moda-U Quilt with a border

Now I'll cut my binding. Then I'll take all of the leftovers and start sewing together the piano key border. I think it's going to look really nice once it's all together. Hopefully I'll have another picture to show before the end of the night.



12 comments:

Regina said...

I like the new block better, too - and the quilt is GORGEOUS! Love that color combo.

Wow - you really churn out the blocks! I am envious - I just have not had that level of productivity recently. Maybe it's the 3 year old running underfoot? Or the cold? Or both? Tell me your secret!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I was starting to think you just couldn't leave that new mattress! Ahahahhaaa...glad to see you did. The quilt is wonderful. I love the colors. Hope you enjoyed your weekend. How's you Mom feeling now? Great line about her not moving in with you...
Regina in MI

Amelia said...

I too prefer the lighter green.

The burgandy border seemed to add to the overall look.

All of your blocks looked great...you are quite the "sewing lady".

Laura Krasinski said...

OH Wow.. this is a beautiful quilt... Very nice work..

Carol Van Rooy said...

Wow that quilt is striking. I can't believe how quickly you can put these together.

I'd love if ever to see a post regarding your quilting set-up. I know you've answered my inquiry about whether it was a long arm before; and it's not.. but somehow I can't picture what it is your hooking up to and how your doing it.

Remember, I'm a newbie and relatively foreign to all this.

Kristie said...

Oh Jen, I love it!!! I really like how the blocks end up making stars! And of course, the paisley fabric is my favorite. At the rate you are going you will have it quilted tonight!!!!
Kristie

Vera said...

Very eye catching quilt. Love it and the piano border is just perfect for it. You always make nice quilts.

Moneik said...

It looks awesome and I definately think it needed the burgundy border before the piano keys. Great job! The new block is better!

kt said...

new block = much better color selection. I'm sure the originals are great on their own, or in another block... but the new one is great! :D have fun!

my dh and I have a discount furniture store version of the tempurpedic and we *love* it. I can only imagine what the real thing is like!

Maureen said...

The top looks awesome put together...where will this one go? I really like the burgandy border...very pretty!

Maureen

Nancy said...

Burgundy border is a terrific addition to the quilt! Will you use all of the fabrics in the piano-key border?

pudge's girl said...

It is so nice to see someone use green and red(burgundy/cranberry) to make a beautiful quilt outside of Christmas. It looks fantastic.