Monday, February 4, 2008

Who are you?

WOW...there are days when things just don't go well and this was one of them.

For me the ordeal began at 4:22 PM, for my Mom it began at 3:50 PM. As she pulled her car into the garage she looked at the time. She walked towards her apartment and that's about all she remembers. Walking to her apartment she slipped and fell hitting her head.

She was unconcious for about 15-20 minutes before she came to.

She went into the house and knew she had a dog to let out but didn't know his name. She knew she had a daughter but didn't know my name. She tried her cell phone. #1 turned out to be her voice mail. #2 turned out to be my cell phone which was on silent because I was at work - BUT, then she got my name from that. She scrolled through her address book to find another entry for Jen and since I had a lot of numbers listed she figured I must be someone important so she started dialing and got the secretary. When Nikki called me she said, "There's some confused sounding lady who might be your Mom on the phone for you." So I took the call. My mom didn't sound like My mom, she asked who I was. I could tell by the sound of her voice it wasn't time for one of those, "What do you mean who am I?" type questions. She said she fell and hit her head. I said that Mike was home and I'd send him right over and I'd be there as soon as I could get there from work.

Mike called me to say we were going to have to take her to the ER so where was I. Luckily I was on my way and already on National & Sunnyslope. A few minutes pass, I'm on almost home and my cousin Tracey calls. She had called me at "home" but Mike said I wasn't there yet. Giggle...she called me on my mom's cell phone and Mike answered. LOL. Anyway, she called me, I couldn't come to dinner but then filled her in on my mom and promised to call her when I knew anything.

I get to Mom's. I give Murphy his insulin and dinner, I grab her some clothes incase they keep her, I go to stand her up and she starts vomiting. I call Mike and ask if I should take her vomiting or call 911. He's unsure and tells me to check WebMD. So, I do. It says when to go to the ER and then a few things of when to call a paramedic. Yeah, she was 3 of those 5 things so I called.

Now I'm making her say her ABC's because she couldn't tell me things like what meds she was on, where her insurance card was, etc. The paramedics come, off we all go. On my way to Froedert (which is where they suggested due to head trauma) it's VERY foggy. I call Tracey and tell her where I'm headed and she makes me promise to call her if I want her to come sit with me. Then I called my Aunt Kitty. Now, THAT was a funny call. She was babysitting her granddaughters. I tell her what happened...it starts to sink in and she says, "WAIT, who is in the hospital and WHERE?" (Can you tell we're a family that has been in a lot of hospitals recently?) "Ok, Ok, I'll be there as soon as Keri gets home."

Now, like I said, it's VERY foggy. I've only been to Frodert during the day and you can usually see it from HWY 100. I'm driving, and I'm driving and now I know I'm past it because I'm at North Avenue. Call Mike, "Where the F*&% is Froedert?" Mike, "Can't you see it?" Me, "NO!!" "Huh," he says, "I think it's around 84-92nd ish, if you head back to Bluemound you've gone too far so go down North and take Swan Blvd over there and you should run right into it." Down to Swan I go, but Swan runs next to and then across the freeway. I thought I was in a good lane and NOPE, I end up on the FREEWAY instead and it's rush hour so it's at a stand still. Now I call Mike back and inform him I'm going to start screaming shortly. 10 minutes to go 1/4 mile and I'm off onto Wisconsin Avenue. Drive down to Froedert and there's all these arrows for the Emergency room so I follow them. I went in a big circle over about 10 blocks to finally turn in 1/4 of a block from where I was when this circle started just because they want all their traffic in one direction. SERIOUSLY??

So I find Mom and I've got to say, for our first trip to Froedert, the ER rooms are really nice. Much better than St. Luke's that is for darn sure. Also better than West Allis Memorial, Waukesha Memorial and Elmbrook. They actually had sliding glass doors on each room so you didn't have to listen to everyone else moan and groan. By the time I got there she was already set up to get an IV and within minutes they were giving her anti-nausea meds and morphine. We started to wait for a Cat Scan and in walks Tracey...with FRESHLY MADE & FROSTED CHOCOLATE CUP CAKES!! Holy Cats!! Does she know the way to my heart or what?? (Us Ricciardi girls, we're big on our comfort foods) It was great to have her there to help pass the time. We got some good laughs about her dad's most recent hospital stay and he's still in a rehab center working out the issues in his hip. Mom goes out for her Cat Scan, Kitty walks in.

Now we wait. Mom comes back and in comes the doctor. She's ok from this fall; just some swelling that will go down but he did see 3-4 areas on her brain that appear to have been Mini Strokes - and who knows when those happened. Talk about 3 sets of eyes and one set of drugged eyes, all looking in alarm at the doctor. Apparantly this would be normal if she was 70-80 but NOT at mid-50's. So now she'll need to follow up with the doctor on that because we NEED to know more about that.

We tried to stop on the way home to get her some soup. Why is it hard to buy soup in winter? Mcdonalds no longer carries it at that location, Cousins was out and they said they were closed when I tried to buy a roll.

By the time we got home the "Who are you?" kind of became a joke. I put my Quilting Name Tag around my neck and I said I was going to have to put a bandana on Murphy with his name. I also took her dry erase board that she practicies her Pajama Quilter stuff on and wrote that she had a head injury, that Girl=Jen, Dog=Murphy, what time to take her next pain pill and my phone number. I put it on her dresser and I spent the night.

23 comments:

Moneik said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry to hear about her fall and ER visit. I'll be saying prayers for her. Hope she gets better quickly. I'll be thinking of you. If you need anything let me know.

swooze said...

Oh no! I hope all will be ok. Will watch for updates.

Hazel said...

Oh my what a fright you must have had .I hope your mom is fine ,keep a close eye on her for a while ,you never know with head injuries .Your a card ,I'm sure your mom got a giggle out of the name tag LOL

Kristie said...

Oh my!!! I would have been going crazy! I sure hope she gets to feeling better. Make sure she goes to the doctor for those mini strokes!!! That was scary for both of you!!!
Kristie

Amelia said...

How horrible...good thing Mike was at home.

Do keep us posted on her condition.

I know part of this is funny now..but I am sure it was not at the time it was happening.

Michele said...

WOW is right. Maybe the fall will be a blessing in disguise, that they found out about the mini-strokes. Hopefully she will feel better soon.

Bethany said...

I'm so sorry to her about your mom. I'm so glad she got the help she needed and got to the hospital. I'm sorry about the mini strokes, but I'm glad they caught it now.

Colors of Me said...

omg -i'm sure glad that mike was home and you were able to get there fast - i hope everything is ok with her and that she is felling better - got the link up on my blog lol - your quilts look gorgeous and i would capitalize that if i could hit shift and type at the same time lol - and i am lovin that pillow case - call me sometime - i am always home now lol

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Oh man....I would have been so scared. I hope everything is ok now. You are all in my prayers. Keep your chin up and hang tuff.
Regina in MI

Maureen said...

Ohh my gosh! I am sorry to hear about your Mom! I hope she is doing better....and that you are all right. It is surprising to her that your Mom had mini-strokes! WOW! I did giggle about the list on the dry erase board!

Take care of yourself, your Mom and of course Murphy.

Beth said...

Oh {{{{{Jen}}}}}} I hope she is feeling better now. My son did that after a seizure when he hit his head falling down. He DID know who I was, but had short term memory of about 3 mins. I finally wrote down all the questions. I was tired of answering them repetitively!

swooze said...

I went snooping through your webshots and LOVE the funcky chickens! They are adorable!

Christine said...

Oh no! Yikes. It almost makes you wonder if this fall didn't happen for a reason, just so you would know about the strokes.

I love your sense of humor. Girl=Jen, ha, ha, ha.

But seriously, I'll be thinking about you. Wish there was more I could do.

Carla said...

How scary for you all! Keep us posted on how your mom progresses and take care of yourself, too.

Carol Van Rooy said...

I'm afraid for you and your mom to leave the house. Falls have become all too common amongst you's.

Hope she's feeling better, Carol

Morah said...

Gosh! I'll keep you in my thoughts. You keep us update.

jleack said...

Jen - give my best to your mom. This is very scary. Cindy is the third person in a week that I know who has had an episode like this. Take care - my thoughts are with you both.

Julie

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Oh my goodness! How scary I hope your mom is feeling better. Keep me up to date, let me know if you need anything.

Heather

Suzan said...

Oh my goodness - you must have been terrified! Hope your mom's head is feeling better. Although falling and hitting her head are not good things, getting a CT Scan and finding out about the mini-strokes may have been a lifesaver. Keep us posted!

Linda said...

I'm so sorry about your Mom. I hope she gets better quickly. Will keep an eye on your updates.

Regina said...

Oh goodness -what a day! I hope they find out more on those mini-strokes, who knows, this fall might have been fortuitous (or however you spell that).

Love the nametags -
Hope she heals quickly!!!

Luv to quilt said...

I sure hope you Mom is ok .follow up on the mini-strokes
I had some of the same problems in May of 2006 .They found out I had a Brain Aneurysm. I was 50 years old.
I had surgery and I am fine today

jillquilts said...

OK, I knew the story before, but just got around to reading the post. I have just gotta say that getting lost on the way to the hospital just sounds like something you would do! I am glad that you can see the humor in things! It definitely helps in a crisis and the aftermath! :D