Thursday, March 27, 2008

MACC Fund Quilt

This year will be the 4th MACC Fund ride that my husband and I will be participating in. The Busy Bee's raffle quilt gave me the idea that I should make a raffle quilt for our MACC ride.

I need your help! What I like and what appeals to the masses are probably two different things. I'm looking to make a lap quilt. Most likely my main target audience is going to be non-quilters. It has to be a quilt that is visually appealing to men because my husband works in an industrial field and it can't be girly to the point that he won't want to display it or show pictures of it. I don't know if I want to go with a traditional type pattern or an artsy type pattern. Safe colors? I don't know...possibly red, white & blue?

By Traditional I mean a charm pack/jelly roll type pattern. Possibly some sort of star block, something of that nature.

By Artsy, I'm thinking more of a 'A Bit Askew' type of quilt.

I'm also toying with asking the parents of two childhood cancer survivors that I know if their children would be willing to draw on some fabric to either be incoporated into the front or back of the quilt. So you're also voting on Front or Back.

In the end, this has to be something that I can pull off rather quickly so we can start getting the word out. We all know I can sew like a mad woman so this shouldn't be an issue!!

I'm going to put some poll questions on my side bar, but if you have specific ideas, please comment! Especially with pattern ideas or color ideas.

13 comments:

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Jen, I was just thinking that that pattern you used for your Aunt's wallhanging might appeal to a man. Just a thought. That came out so great!
Good luck....

Moneik said...

What about using the YBR and having the kids draw pictures for the bigger blocks. I would say bright colors would appeal to men and women, say the rainbow colors versus dark or light shades of them.

Carol Van Rooy said...

What a great idea. How's about earth tones???

Regina said...

The Quick Step quilt by Carol Britt is also a design idea- depending on how many drawings by kids you can get, it would be cool to incorporate those into a border all around. The only think I don't like about that quilt is that it is smaller.

YBR is a larger overall "lap" quilt - and works up really fast. I just did one in tan and black and loved it.

Motherhood for Dummies said...

I love that patient idea. I can't belive how talented you are! Way to go! I really want to get into quilting. I have made one back when i was 14.... it was pink and had pigs on it :) pretty impressive I know. :)

kt said...

I did a quilt for my husband in greens/blues/golf fabric. I used the "peppermint stick" pattern from terry atkinson's book, "spring cleaning". it was really easy to put together and with the darker colors, it appealed to both men and women (DH loves it). terry's patterns always create something larger than expected, too, so your lap quilt would probably end up as a twin plus. :) as far as utilizing childrens' blocks... you can always just remove a block and replace it with a drawing that they have done - I voted for the label on the back, but you could really go either way.

good luck!!

Deb (vtquilter) said...

Wow, lots of good ideas already. You mentioned a star pattern, check out quiltville for her maverick star pattern. Looks easy to do. I would say 'earth tones' brown, green, etc.... although I personally love anything blue. I'd incorporate the kids blocks into the quilt, if you have enough of them to sprinkle them in.

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

Great idea. It let me vote for traditional and right now it's at 50 50. Wouldn't let me vote for the kids though but my vote is yes that would be so neat and it should definetly go on the front of the quilt.

Maureen said...

You could do star blocks with the kids pictures! That would be sooo cute. This is such a good idea!

Maureen

Vera said...

Jen I really like the one you made that hangs over the fireplace. That would be a good guy kind of a quilt. What ever you chose to do it will be beautiful I'm sure. You always do nice work.
http://www.myquiltblog.com/Vera/

Diana Laurence said...

For the largest appeal, I gotta say neutrals...same principle as when you paint your house before you put it up for sale. More people will think it will go with their stuff!

Quilter In Paradise said...

I'm thinking traditional, very traditional. Most men that I know are comfortable with nothing too outlandish, or 'girly'... I think I would use darker and neutrals, too. I know,,, doesn't sound like much fun, does it?!
Beth

Michele said...

The problem I see here is that you're asking *women* what *men* would like. Why not ask a guy? JMHO.