Thursday, March 6, 2008

Miranda Day Bag Class

I'll be the first to admit; I've only taken maybe 3 classes in my time as a quilter. Maybe I should take a few more to get a better grasp & understanding of how classes really work. I never even thought about people coming unprepared; I don't know why I didn't but I just didn't. I went into the class feeling more confident about it than I had in days, I had my outline all typed up with key points and a copy for each student to act as a companion for their class. I was going to start off with an overview of what we were hoping to accomplish during class and then move step by step. I had my pieces made for each step so that I would have those items to show for each step. I could go on and on but bottom line, that just never happened.

I had four students. One had everything ready to go, one was further than I had planned on, the other two were uncut an unready and that really, really, really threw me. I never considered that I'd be showing how to attach a walking foot or explaining how to quilt the cover pieces. That was probably my downfall as a teacher but I just hadn't thought about it.

One of my students got very irritated with two of the other students and I can honestly say I don't blame her one bit Their conversations were quite out there and evoked feelings of discomfort; even from me. Unfortunately the offended won't be coming back for the second session. She did get her purse almost completed so I know she'll be able to finish it on her own. I'm just still disheartened by it. I know it's not my fault that her personality didn't click with theirs but I can't help but feeling bad and I do hope I'll get the chance to cross paths with her again to tell her so.

This was the only purse I thought to take a picture of; hopefully next session I'll get to snap the others once they have all of their finishing touches on:


leanne



Yes, I had fun. Yes, I'll do it again. But I'll admit, I am a little shell shocked!!

9 comments:

jillquilts said...

I have to admit that when Maddy and I took a class together that we got looks from others in the class, but it is always when we are doing more independent stuff. But I was always buddies with the teachers and they never said anything. Was this a 2 week or 3 week class? When we did my purse, it was a 3 week class - week 1 was cutting and quilting, week 2 was piecing one half of the purse with the zipper and trim and handles and week 3 was the rest of the bag assembly.

Hazel said...

I'm glad you understand it is not your fault .There's a time and place for everything ,guess those two ladies didn't understand that ,or didn't care .The bag in the picture is cute .I would tell them right off next time ,Lets stay on topic so we can get this finished .

Carla said...

I've never taught a quilting class but I have taught kids for many years and you're right that you can have all skill levels in one group. Plus the dynamics between the students is a huge factor. I took a quilt class once where someone stayed on her cell phone most of the time IN THE CLASS! Talk about rude. A friend of mine used to teach tole painting and she said that someone actually came to a class with a quart of house paint instead of acrylics-can you imagine? Quilt classes are infamous for the range of skill levels among the students. You couldn't avoid what happened.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

The thing that strikes me the most is that some people have never learned how to behave in public. I guess that just bothers me. I know you really put time and effort into the class and I hope you do cross paths with the one lady again. The pic of the bag is wonderful. Have a great week....

Carol Van Rooy said...

I guess that's why I haven't taken a course... I haven't the time to prepare and couldn't imagine preparing myself at the class. Sorry, you had such a bad experience.

Better luck next time!!!

Debi said...

Great looking bag.

Moneik said...

I'm sure your next class will be better now that you have some experience. Various personalities really add or distract in a class. It really depends on the make up of the class.

Michelle said...

People never cease to amaze me, and it seems to be worse and worse all the time. The things that people think they can say, do, and get away with. Sometimes I just want to crawl in a hole and hide. The world is such a different place than it used to be. Good luck with your upcoming classes.

Morah said...

The best part is you will never have a "first class" again!