Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Well, it's that time of the year again; time to renew our lease or look elsewhere. After living above the Cult last summer I'm just don't trust the management here. Granted, right now we do have nice neighbors but it IS winter. I actually just figured we'd sign our lease and move on with life. Mike on the other hand has been thinking. So tonight as I'm getting ready to start quilting the second of two quilts for a friend of mine, he comes into the sewing room and sits down. He starts off with, "I've been doing a lot of thinking." Everytime he says this, my heart just drops and I have that fight/flight response of, what's wrong?!?! There's some apartments close by that we've tossed around moving into now for the last few years. He called and we could get in there for only $100 more per month than what they want to charge us here. We also are paying $85 for a storage unit. This apartment would have a basement so in reality, it would only be $15 more per month. He's going to call tomorrow to find out when we can go and see them. Mike's been in them before, I haven't. We'd be able to buy our own washer and dryer. We'd have a basement for storage, a garage, we'd still have two bedrooms BUT, since the bedrooms would be above our living room and kitchen I could sew until all hours of the night and not bother a soul. It will be interesting to see the demensions of these bedrooms. Mike's thought was that this could give me an honest to goodness sewing room...not one that I can barely move in. Since it would be a two floor unit, we'd have a ground entry but my sewing room would still be up a flight of stairs. STILL, much better than the outside stairs and inside stairs that we're dealing with now. And if I had friends over to sew, we could set up in the living room/dining area and all would be good with the world...no stairs...unless of course it's just Mom & Me. But even so...one flight is better than 2. If it's too cramped with my frame, like I told Mike, I could set the frame up in the basement and just transport my machine back and forth. So anywho, I'm excited AND hopeful. We've always talked about this, but we've never gone forward on it. This time, we just might!! Keep your fingers crossed that they have an opening and that it's not one of those; well with the dog add an extra X, for a garage add another X type things.

I quilted up my friends other quilt and it sure looks nice. I'll be sending them on their way tomorrow. Mom came over and watched me stipple the last few rows. Then she got to see both quilts. Oh, an I already sealed up the box so I'll have to send the thread and such back separately. I thought about that after I hermetically sealed it!!


Moneik Bridesmaid Quilt #2



DSCF2441



So now, with the prospect of moving, think about all the fresh walls I could hang quilts on!! A half bathroom, a stair case. Isn't that an exciting prospect?!? Of course, I'll have to pack like a mad woman...I've already been going through a plan in my head. I'd start with the kitchen and pack up everything we don't use very often. That will probably leave only about 30% of the normal things behind. Then I'd hit a few closets and go from there. Muah ha ha ha ha.

Riiiiiiight. I'll pack one box and be like; that's enough for me!!

14 comments:

Gina said...

Good Luck with the other apartment. It sounds like a nice place

love and hugs xxx

Suzan said...

Good luck with your apartment search. Wouldn't it be nice to have the extra space for your sewing room? And how about the fact that you would have all your stored stuff just below your feet rather than off site?

Michelle said...

How exciting, plus, it's always kind of nice to have a nice fresh start sometimes. Good luck in your search. I hope it all works out the way you hope. Maybe you should look at house rentals while you are at it.....or a house purchase? Talk to some realtors and see what's available. I know you are still young, but I was 38 when we purchased our first home, and I look back now, and wish we had done it a lot sooner. When you put a 30 year loan on top of age 38, that's kind of scary to think about. Since, we have refinanced a few times,we have, I think, 11 years left, since the last time we went with a 15 year loan. Sure, there are responsibilities with home ownership, but when you are done, you have equity, and some financial security. With us, we had lack of knowledge, and a few bad experiences when my 'mother' and wicked stepfather tried to 'help' (that's another whole story I'll tell you in private sometime), but finally, all by ourselves, we finally did it. We haven't been sorry.

Sorry, didn't mean for this to become an advice column, but life moves fast, believe me. We've been here 12 years already. Time flies, and the older you get, the faster it goes (except on those days when you are at work from 6am to 4:30!)

The quilts look great! Your friend will love them!

Barb said...

Jen ~ great job on the quilt. It's beautiful and good luck with the move. Our lease is up in a few months and we are looking too! I hate packing.

Amelia said...

I agree about purchasing a house.However, that is a world in its self to maintain one. Maybe that is not something you and your husband enjoy.

Good luck on this new chapter in your life.

The quilts look great!

Regina said...

Good luck with the move - sounds like it could be positive in so many ways - except for the packing!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I just read what Michelle wrote and it is a buyers market right now. Something to think about. I'm excited for you either way! Love the evil laugh too, by the way, cause I hate packing too. I don't mind the unpacking so much. Good luck, Jen!

Deb (vtquilter) said...

Oh, I hope they have an opening and you get the new place! I actually bought my first house at 28 and single and it was the best thing I could have done, but I like doing all the house upkeep! I have moved twice in the last couple of years (to dh house then our new home), I packed the first time my whole house.. and DH packed and unpacked everything the second time to our current house. All I did was my sewing room! Hope your Mike is like my Greg.

kt said...

I think I could potentially comment on all of the above! first off, good luck on the apartment search - I loved having an apartment - smaller, and easier upkeep (outside especially). however, if you did opt for home ownership, perhaps you could look into a condo - it has that apartment feel (read: no shoveling!), but the ability to decorate, paint, etc. as you see fit. I know DH's brother had a beautiful townhouse condo w/ a basement that was definitely perfect for a sewing room. just be wary though - as someone who has been looking for a house for almost a year now, the "buyer's market" is definitely a deceptive term. it all depends on where you are and where you're looking. here in CT, we haven't really been touched too much by lowered housing costs (trust me - we've looked - total bummer).

but all that aside - the quilts look fabulous! :D

* kt

pudge's girl said...

good luck with the new digs, no one deserves a "real, honest to goodness sewing room" more than you!

Sandra said...

Jen,Great job on both quilts.Sounds like you would enjoy a new apartment.Good luck.

HobbyMommy said...

Your quilting is lovely and good luck with the possiblity of a move!

Connie said...

Good luck with the possible move! While moving is not my favorite activity, the new digs sound like they would be sweet for quilting purposes!

jillquilts said...

Good luck with a new place! Keep us posted! The quilt look great!