Saturday, April 26, 2008

Goodwill Hunting...

This morning I woke up pretty early because Mike was on the phone. I ripped a little on my Charming Challenge quilt and then hopped in the shower when my Mom called to say that Michelle and Louie had reached Madison. I finished getting ready and then ran over to the bank.

Ohhhhh speaking of the bank. I know I've griped about our stupid Credit Union many times in the past. Everytime we need our bank to be reliable, they're NOT. I leave last week for the retreat and I get a phone call from Mike saying that our account is fine...BUT. I'm thinking, great, now what did they do? We could use our debit card as debit, but not as credit which is how I typically use it because I can never seem to remember our bank imposed pin number. Hello...let me pick my own!! If you tried to use it as Credit it just declined...NICE. Of course, I couldn't remember for the life of me which way it could be used so I just said forget it and switched to the credit card to get a tank of gas. Dang it!! I think it took them two days to get their system ironed out and get us up and running again.

When I got to Mom's, Michelle, Louie and my Mom were already taking measurements and drawing a template to make the cut out for mom's sewing table.

SD530559



It took Louie no time at all to make the cut out but then we were lacking sand paper or a Dremmel Tool. Mike wasn't home but I called him and asked him where his was. He had no clue. I ended up finding the attachement kit but not the Dremmel Tool. So I ended up at Ace to buy another one. I found them in the cage (locked area with tools) so I went looking for one of the guys that Mike knows and told him what I was after. I needed a Dremmel Tool...no nonsense...least amount of attachments. Tom L. found me one and I was on my merry way. While I was gone Louie got the shelf attached. And walah, it was finished!!

SD530561



SD530563



We hit IHOP for brunch and I talked everyone into Beezlenut Splashes. We all had quite a few laughs!! I'm not sure if they were just appeasing me by ordering it or were fully willing participants...but there were quite a few giggles!!!

SD530564


Now, it was time to engage in Michelle & Louie's favorite activity...Goodwill Hunting. Our first one was in New Berlin. I actually made a purchase...ok Jill...make your comments, I'm ready. I bought a nice non-descript lamp. Or so I thought until I heard Mike's comments about it. But, my lamp is brand new, never been used. It sill has the Target tag on it and the electrical cord is still wrapped up as it would be in the store with the plug having a plastic cap. Now I just need to get a lamp shade but I'll wait till we get in our Townhouse. Now Mike wanted to know why I bought a triple fitration bong when I don't even know what a bong looks like. Upon further inspection he realized it was a lamp.

DSCF2794

From there we hit Frank's Sewing Center, an Antique Store, Salvation Army Store and two more Good Will's. We topped it all off with Pie from Bakers Square.


Now, for the best part of my day. We showed Michelle and Louie my Mom's Harvest Spice quilt. Miracle of Miracles....Michelle LOVES it. I jumped before my mom had time to think about it and told Michelle that she could have mine. I love that it's going to a good home. To me, this is the perfect solution. Now I can put the borders on it and one weekend I'll go to Michelle's and we'll throw it on her frame and quilt it up. By the end of the weekend she'll be the proud owner of a Harvest Spice quilt!! Wahooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Once Michelle and Louie left I started working on my bowl. I threw another 100 feet on it and now it's 6 inches tall. I took my little Janome Jem with me and it couldn't handle sewing the bowl. =( So we brought out mom's Singer and we haven't used it in so long we couldn't get the bobbin to wind properly so I decided to just wrap my rope.

SD530568



I did it in two sections while Mom worked on her own bowl. It's funny it takes SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long to wrap but like 5 minutes to sew about 50 pieces. So now there's 200 feet of rope. We figure to get it tall enough I'll probably need to add another 200 to 300 feet. Or who knows! My mom is convinced I'm making a bushel basket. Mike thinks I'm making a clothes hamper. Giggle. See how awesome my mom's machine looks dropped down into the table?

SD530567

SD530569

SD530570



I finished up a spool of verigated thread. Now I'll have to pull some other thread from my big box of thread to continue on.

SD530572


12 comments:

Kristie said...

Sounds like you had a very nice day! I LOVE that bowl!!!! You are sending it my way when you get it finished, right?? :)

And by the way...exactly how does Mike know what a BONG looks like??? ..........hmmmm... :) I love the lamp!
Kristie

Michelle said...

Well, Kristie said what I was thinking....and Mike knows what a bong is, because.....?????? Oh, that was just too funny! I'll keep my eyes open for the 'bong's' mate.

The bowl is really cool! Awesome!
So did your momtry her new cabinet set up yet?

Louie and I had such a good day, and we talked about how BLESSED we were having you for friends, for quite a ways home.

Maureen said...

Wow you bowl is beautiful and it's going to be big! I'm so impressed. I still have to finish my first bowl. I just don't have the motivation.

What a great job Louie did on the table for your mom!

Glad you had a good day with your Mom, Louie and Michelle.

Maureen

Amelia said...

Love the bowl!

I am sure your Mom is going to love the new sewing machine table layout.

Amelia in Oklahoma

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Wow...that bowl is big! What's the diameter of the base? What are you making one this big for? Do you have a purpose in mind? I'm thinking of making a big one for scraps....for under my sewing table....
I ran outta clothesline, so I can't do anymore now. I only bought four 100 foot rolls. I should have bought more....
I love the colors in yours. Thanks for turnin me onto these...they are just great....
Regina

Michelle said...

I forgot to say, I AM THRILLED TO BE GETTING THE HARVEST SPICE QUILT! Louie even commented on how pretty he thinks it is, (and how sweet you are!)

jillquilts said...

Oh, no!! Broken @$$ $h*t!! I can't believe that you broke down and bought something!!

C'mon ladies! You can't have grown up when we did with the movies and everything and not know what a bong looks like! Even I know... But I have never done drugs EVER!

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

I've been thinking all day about changing the way a person would make a Beezlenut Splash. I've decided as soon as it's really nice out I'll give it a try. I bet your bowl grew some today. I've been working on mine and it started out a coaster, went to a bowl and now I"m thinking rug who knows what it will turn out to be.

Barb said...

That is one Ginormous bowl and I love it! Your colors are great. I never finished my first one cause I don't care for the colors ~ Maybe I'll just start on a new one that I actually like. Glad you had a great time.

Moneik said...

Sounds like you had an awesome time with Michelle, Louie, and your mom. Her cabinet looks great! Your bowl is turning out really huge, but it looks good.

Rose Marie said...

Love that bowl .... and what a great way to use up small strips.

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Wow your bowl looks great! and the sewing table.. my goodness! I think I may have to send this post to a little bridie maybe dad could fix me a nice one too.

Heather