Monday, April 28, 2008

Hand Sewing Binding...

Is for the Birds!! Seriously? I know there are a lot of you that hand sew binding...I've got to ask, are you NUTS? It's not the sewing part, it's the holding onto the quilt with my opposite hand. So if I'm sewing with my left hand, I'm holding the quilt with my right hand. MAN, my right hand/wrist just hurts unbelievably. I know it's because I have carpal tunnel but geeze...how does anyone who hand sews bindings NOT have carpal tunnel????? This is a mystery to me.

I still have one complete side and one corner yet to sew down and I doubt that I'll finish that in my half hour lunch time tomorrow considering it took me about 3-1/2 hours to get as far as I did.

My challenge quilt needs a name. Anyone have any 'Charming' ideas?

Mike finally realized that it was time to part with his Chevy S-10 and listed it on ebay tonight. It just can't come with us when we move. We really shouldn't have had it in our parking lot this long. For a while it was at my mom's in her spot but that was really inconvienent for anyone who came to visit her. At some point now we're going to need to start stacking boxes in our garage as we pack them and there was no way I was going to clog up a SECOND visitor spot with one of our cars and I'm not about to pay for a parking permit for a dying truck. He tried to make me feel guilty about his having to get rid of his truck and it almost worked until I remembered....HE GAVE ME NO SYMPATHY WHEN I HAD TO GET RID OF MY 1997 GRAND AM...my first new car, and first car that I bought on my very own. So Mike, how about them apples???

10 comments:

Moneik said...

Let me know how it works! I'm still trying to convince Paul that he should get rid of his '89 Chevy Silverado. It's not licensed, needs transmission work, but he's still keeping it! It hasn't run in over 2 years!!!!

vtquilter said...

Well, since he got a new truck he should be fine getting rid of it.. but he is a 'guy'!
How about 'Charming Gems' (they look like gemstones to me!) or 'Charming bits'? Sorry, I don't have much of an imagination today...

Carol Van Rooy said...

Hey, maybe one of us quiler's will have to buy it and bring it back to Mike.... NOT!!!

As for the binding... my arm hurt just reading about it. How had you done the binding in the past???

Karen said...

How about Prints Charming?

Barb said...

I actually LOVE doing hand binding ~ sick I know! To me the repetative motion is soothing and I can hang out on the couch watching TV while I'm doing it instead of by myself in the sewing room and last but not least, once it's done ~ I'm finished and that's the best part of all.

Michelle said...

Maybe it will be like that, 'if you love something, set it free, and if it comes back to you'......Ha ha!!! Poor Mike!
He needs a hug!
Love, Michelle

Kristie said...

Poor Mike!!! I sort know how he feels! Richard keeps trying to get me to trade my Buick in for a newer and cheaper on gas car, but I just can't bring myself to part with it...

I don't do alot of hand sewing but my wrists are screwed up from when I used to work at the sewing factory ( making Levis' and Arizonia jeans) But when I do hand sew after a few minutes mine hurt too. Actually, my hand is hurting from making my bowl (wrapping the strips) and it was just a small bowl.
Kristie

jillquilts said...

I love to put the binding on by hand, too!

And, yeah - Mike has no room to talk! You let him keep it for 3 months now. He can deal with parting with it! :)

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I love doing the bindings by hand! I really enjoy it. Good luck with the truck sale....

quiltin cntrygrl said...

I have only done hand binding on potholders.. LOL.. I know how you feel about the first car/ truck thing. My truck the 02' was the first one that was mine and only mine.. Not one I bought from dad and yet upgrading to another one I'm buying from dad.. its a good thing I love my dad .. LOL