Thursday, April 3, 2008

Ocean Waves

For the last year I've wanted to make an Ocean Waves Quilt. I'm finally getting to the point of being able to start. I have all of my triangle paper ready to go, I've purchased a variety of blues and yardage of white on white. Now it's time to design in EQ.

I really like the Ocean Waves quilt in the Return to Elm Creek book by Jennifer Chiaverini which is where my wanting to make one has stemmed. I fully intended on making THAT quilt until I saw the blue and green Tropical Holiday in the May/June 2008 issue of Mark Lipinski's Quilter's Home.

I couldn't find either block in EQ so I drew my own 16 patches and then rotated them and colored them. Since it's going to be a two color quilt, I placed the colors in different places and that really changes the look. Now to decide!


First I drew up Tropical Holiday with my colors, we'll call it Ocean Waves 1:


Ocean Waves 1

oceanwaves

Then I got the idea to change a few elements and I came up with:

Ocean Waves 2 & Ocean Waves 3
oceanwaves2 oceanwaves3


Then I drew the Traditional Ocean Waves with the colors in opposite places:

Ocean Waves 4 & Ocean Waves 5
oceanwaves4 oceanwaves5


I still need to play with borders. There will be either a solid white or blue inner border and then I want to put more half square triangles around it for the second outer border. But, I could only figure out how to get 24 half square triangles in the border and not any more. I'll have to look that up.


I even have the thread to quilt it with already! LOL. That's how ready to go I was before I started playing in EQ! I was actually able to do all of my designing without looking once in the book!

Now I just have to decide which one to make so that I can get everything pinned and ready to sew on retreat. I'm sort of leaning towards option 2 or 3.

Oh, and here's a blog tip of the day for you. Did anyone realize that on Blogger, that box up at the top for searches, searches content on the Blog that you are looking at currently? I always thought it was a far and wide blog search. Like if you were looking for other blogs to read on a specific topic.






6 comments:

Regina said...

OOh - these are all great -but I think I like #3 the best!

Can't wait to see what you choose and to see it all done!!!

Carol Van Rooy said...

If you are looking for blogs on the far and wide. Type google blog search into your search engine.

It will give you the address to the blog search link

I've used it a few times to find blogs of interest.

Amelia said...

Number 3 gets my vote.

Yes, I knew abut that search part of blogger.

Amelia in Oklahoma

Moneik said...

I like Number 2 the best.

Kristie said...

How exciting that you are finally starting to work on it!!!! I know that you have been wanting to do it for a long time, I can't wait to see how it turns out! What size are you planning on doing??
Kristie

Carla said...

Wow, i actually knew something about blogging that you didn't! I can't believe it! I found that about about searching when I searched a bunch of blogs to look at their sewing rooms.

Your Ocean Waves designs look great. Tough decison to make now.
Carla