Friday, April 18, 2008

Our cars were packed up with care

We packed up our cars and were ready to head out. Here's a picture of my car...there's a few things of Jill's needed for the retreat but I'd say 95% of the stuff is mine!




DSCF2755





DSCF2756





DSCF2757



Oh yeah, I mentioned that our cars were twins...


DSCF2758



We headed out to IHOP. I talked Jill into a Beezlenut Splash which is white soda with cubes of berry and cherry jello floating in it. OMG, we had the BEST time with this drink. Why, oh why is this not a staple in college bars?? Mixed with alcohol it would be the bomb!!! We were laughing so hard sucking our jello through our straws that our male waiter could NOT look either of us in the eyes. After a quick stop at a gas station and Walmart we were on our way.

We got to the retreat center an hour before the start because Jill and her fellow ESA sisters needed to set up. I can't believe the amount of people who come early and are then put out by not being able to check in right away. Seriously people, find a park, pull out a book and sit and read for a bit. We needed to re-arrange the tables so that they were set up 4 tables across and two deep. This way power cords could go from either side. I'm glad that I took the cords that I did...they were well used!! Once we were all set up I arranged my sewing station and moved my luggage upstairs to my bedroom. I began to sew.

I started out with a fabric coiled bowl because I knew that I could work on that and it would be a no brainer so that I could still be nosy and see what everyone else was making. The fabric that I was using for the bowl was the leftover scraps from my Fall Bargello. I decided to work on it for one bobbin and then I moved onto another project.

The project that I moved on to was my Charming Challenge. Here's what I ended up with:
DSCF2765
I still need to quilt it and it will be bound in black. Now I need to decide HOW to quilt it. I'm tossed between a stipple or dwirling. Monofiliment or other thread. I don't know.

Next up were 6 pillow cases. Two to match our bed quilt, two to match the quilts I made at Christmas time for my mom and I, 1 was the "What would Jen do?" pillow case and the other was my Flintstones Pillow Case.


DSCF2766

It was getting late so I quilted three pink/brown fat quarter sandwiches to be made into Sewing Machine Pockets. I made myself one, Jill one and one for my new friend and next table over, Mary. I didn't get them assembled, but I did get the three sandwiches all quilted.

I moved back to my bowl for another bobbin. It was a hit. Everyone kept coming over to look at it and ask how it was done. Then it was time for bed.

I'm trying to think about what kind of trouble we got into Friday night. I'm sure there was more but I know for sure we opened our laptops for some 80's & 90's dance music for sing along, dance along...let's get everyone wide awake and laughing.

Hopefully I triggered Jill's brain on something and she can fill in the rest of Friday on her blog. It was soooo stressful for her on Friday. I swear to god, people will find a way to complain about EVERYTHING. The littlest things they'll complain about. I wanted to yell, PEOPLE you're at a retreat, you're supposed to have fun. Open up your eyes and just have fun. Stop stressing out Jill!!!!



7 comments:

Moneik said...

Sounds like you got a ton accomplished! Getting everyone settled at a retreat is hard work, but fun too.

Kristie said...

I'm sure you had a blast but sometimes it is hard to get everyone motivated. Love the pillowcases!
Kristie

Michelle said...

Jen, I LOVE your charming challenge quilt! Your pillowcases are cute too! Rest up. I've missed your blogging.
Michelle

Gina said...

Sounds like you had a blast. Mind you I knew you would. I love your Charming Challenge quilt.

I'll do you a deal, you can have my Log cabin star if I can have that quilt. LOL

love and hugs xxx

jillquilts said...

I guess that was a hint for me to get my butt blogging, huh? :) I'm sure that I can blog tonight since there probably won't be a date or a hanging out of 'friends'... :D

Connie said...

Prolific as always!!!! Sounds like it was fun despite complainers--people just don't understand that *they* are point of their retreat--it's not like going to a spa where other people work on you and you lay there like a blob (but a happy blob!)--at a retreat YOU are the one making your retreat experience what it is! I don't get complaining either......life's too short.

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Sounds like loads of fun. I will be making pillow cases for FF and his nephew this weekend.. spongebob square pants.. smiles

HEather