Saturday, April 19, 2008

Saturday - Retreat Day 2

We went to bed around 2:30am and were up around 5:30am. We slept 6 to a room and there were bunk beds. Jill, Kim & I were top bunks, Maddy and two other ladies were on the bottom bunks. The beds were supposedly built so they wouldn't need ladders. HA! HA! HA! That's funny stuff!! Have you ever tried to get up in a bunk bead without a real ladder, in the dark while holding a flashlight in your mouth, trying to be quiet because 4 of the 6 people are asleep?? Yeah I went up two rungs, hoisted myself onto the top of the dresser and then propelled myself up. Next year I'll need a better game plan for the things I take to bed with me. I ended up unzipping my pillow cover and putting my flashlight, ipod and glasses just inside so that they wouldn't fall out of bed. So a pocket would be nice. Also, handles on the pillowcase would be good so that it's easier to carry. Perhaps a flap too to keep the pillow from sliding out. But I slept and slept soundly for that 3 hours!! I was probably the one snoring and why they couldn't sleep...down and lots of down do that to me. =(

So we were up. I finished up the Sewing Machine Pockets that I had started the night before. It's not even a pattern, just something I figured out as I went. Here's Jill's:





DSCF2769


Here's Mary's:





DSCF2767


Here's Mine:





DSCF2768



I got as far on my bowl as I could...I was at the end of my rope. You have no idea how hard I laughed about being at the end of my rope.





ROFLMAOPIMP...I'M AT THE END OF MY ROPE, I JUST CAN'T TAKE ANY MORE!!!









DSCF2771



Yes...it's a giant bowl. It's like 17" across and I only got the sides to go up about 2 inches when I ran out. I think it would make a nice, next to the couch type of bowl to collect magazines or the newspaper. But, I do think I'll run out of my Bargello Scraps so I'll have to purchase some 1/8 yards...the girls at the shop will be ready to kill me! Yep, that's what 100 feet of rope looks like. It's a good thing we found it cheap at Walmart!

The Sewing Machine Pockets became a hit. Jill Pimped Me Out and I started sewing them for whomever came my way with three fat quarters. I think I'll have to work up a tutorial for them. We made a little extra money for St. Jude's by charging for them!

Here's Maddy's



DSCF2772



Here's Patrice's



DSCF2773

Jill hit a wall and was exhausted...here's a cute little grouping of photo's that I took as she made herself more and more and more comfortable by using things around her.



DSCF2774DSCF2775

DSCF2776DSCF2777



It was after dinner when they started to draw names for the Raffle items. I didn't win anything...let's face it...Jill is the Queen of Luck. She won one of the raffle's and the grand prize steam iron!!

DSCF2779

She goes right from winning the iron to the next meal where she wins a Quilt of Dreams quilt!! Can you believe it? She needs to get in on the lottery!! She did tell them to throw her name back to pull someone else for the quilt. Seriously...just how long will her winning streak go on?? =)

I did get a pattern as a door prize...a funny thing THIS was! I get to pick what I want, I go for this awesome pattern:

Then, I'm reading the front of the pattern. It says Quilt Corral in South Dakota. I get excited because it's a pattern from the shop that Moneik LOVES! I say this to Jill and she gives me this bemused look and tells me to look at the back. DUH!! It's the pattern that Moneik donated for the retreat and there's this sweet note on the back of it from Moneik, telling the new owner (ME) about the pattern!!! It was SOOOO meant to be!!

We played fabric bingo. Which was kind of hard because so many of the fabrics were so close in description. The caller...just about every fabric was a variegated something or other. It was fun for the first five minutes. Then I just wanted to sew. I tried sewing and playing and that just didn't pan out. I was able to get the first two parts sewn onto my Happy Hour blocks though before going to bed. 164 blocks!! We were in bed by 1:30am.

9 comments:

Barb said...

Jen ~ sounds like an awesome time! I love love love those sewing machine pockets ~ PLEASE do a tutorial! Also am loving your giant bowl. Fabulous colors AND love the bag that is on Patrice's machine. Do you know what pattern that is? Thanks for letting us in on the fun!

Hazel said...

Sounds like you both had a great time ,Poor Jill looks so tired LOL .Your machine pockets are great ,even if JIll did Pimp you our LOL what a great heart you have ,to donate the proceeds .

jillquilts said...

Dang! I didn't know that you took that many pictures of me sleeping there... You forgot to mention when I collapsed against the carpeted wall while sitting on the stairs... And I didn't even get any ice cream! We didn't get ice cream pictures!

jillquilts said...

Dang! I didn't know that you took that many pictures of me sleeping there... You forgot to mention when I collapsed against the carpeted wall while sitting on the stairs... And I didn't even get any ice cream! We didn't get ice cream pictures!

CatQuilter said...

It was so great to meet you in person, Jen! Long way to drive for a retreat, but I think we all more than enjoyed ourselves. BTW, there's an easy pattern for cutting mat bag in the latest edition of Fons and Porter Easy Quilts (Summer 08). It would coordinate nicely with the sewing machine caddy.
Hugs,
Cathy

Kristie said...

I love the fabric in your sewing machine pocket. I have one that I made a while back for my machine and they are very handy! I love your bowl!!! I can't wait to see it when you finish it.

Moneik said...

I can tell you guys had an awesome time and got a lot accomplished. So happy you got the pattern from the Gutzy Geishas! Those sewing caddies are so much fun to make and so easy.

amandajean said...

I love the sewing machine pocket idea. they turned out so cute. the bowl looks great, too. the retreat sounds like lots of fun.

quiltin cntrygrl said...

I have that book on the bowls have never used it maybe for christmas. Can't wait to see your tutorial for the sewing machine pockets.. smiles

Heather