Saturday, May 24, 2008

1999 - Christmas Gifts...It's ok to laugh

Every year I always tried to do some sort of homemade gift for family and friends. I think I picked this up from my cousin Susie who always did a homemade ornament every Christmas.

I had no clue what half square triangles were or flying geese but I felt the need to pull this block off of Quilter's Cache and sit down to make 30 of these blocks to use as that years Christmas Gift. OMG, I KNOW my friends and family did the smile and nod thing and thought to themselves...is she kidding? Mike dutifully stained the dowels and drilled the holes.



Christmas Wall hanging

My tabs aren't even the same langth!! I know for a fact I didn't do those flying geese with the connector method but I AM impressed that those points aren't chopped off and that the pinweel totally meets in the middle. But those edges...where exactly did those points go? Sure, it was sewn and turned but really? Did I do a 3/4" seam or something??

This project DID get me through a tough time. My Grandpa died right before Thanksgiving and my dear dog Sherman died a week later. Yeah...lots of smiling and nodding from friends and family. I bet they were ready to put me in the funny farm!!!

Looking back, I can't help but dissolve into giggles......

5 comments:

KyQuiltlady said...

I am sure those points are in there somewhere, noone got cheated. I was thinking about making the "Scrappy Pinwheels" but I am putting more thought in that now. hehehe!!!! All joking aside, "You dun gewd!"

Moneik said...

Everyone needs something to look back at and laugh. I have a few of those projects laying around too.

Jo-Ann said...

I'll bet some were happier to receive the wall hanging than you are aware.
I still have my first crochet project - a small doll size granny afghan. It's a riot to look at - especially that I sewed it together with yarn that didn't match. When I look at it, it makes me smile.

Diane said...

Hey, Jen, I like 'em! They are cute and YOU made them and that's what is important.

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

I still have mine and I'm still thrilled with it. It came from you.