Monday, May 26, 2008

2000 A quilt for me...sort of

TAKE 1:

Immediately after making Holly's Quilt I decided I was going to follow a pattern and make myself a split rail fence quilt. I got the top together and then....our friends got married so my quilt became their wedding gift.



Todd & Robin's Split Rail Fence Wedding Quilt

The picture is of Todd & Robin who unfortunately are no longer married. It's sad though cause they're both a LOT of fun. Sniffle, I miss Robin.

Anywho, off of my pity party...I sorta realized when I went to stitch in the ditch that my strips wern't sewn together that well. I'd later learn that I had a problem with my tension but at this point I didn't know what tension was. I FEATHER STITCHED on top of EACH FREAKING SEAM. Can you imagine how long that took me? Just so that the quilt wouldn't fall apart. As we left the house for the gift opening I said to Mike...don't point out that I screwed it up...PLEASE!! Knowing full well that Robin's mom was a quilter but I knew that she knew I was a newbie so she wouldn't have said anything but man...I didn't want it to be pointed out. What does Mike do? Point it out because he thinks the stitching is 'cool.' I thought I was going to DIE.

Oh, and the binding is actually hand stitched...we know in the land of Jen that hand stitching is rare.

TAKE 2:

Right after finishing theirs, I bought some more fabric to make one for myself. I couldn't find pink, so I bought red.



Barry & Jodie's Split Rail - Wedding Gift

Yeah, our friend Barry married Jodie and it became THEIR quilt.

TAKE 3:

I'm doomed, I swear it. But, I did try a third time!!


My Split Rail Fence

Finally, I got to keep one!!!


4 comments:

Moneik said...

Your rail fences are cool! I'm sure you were in the same stage I was, everyone was getting married and I wanted to make them each something. You did an awesome job, even in the beginning.

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

Wow I forgot about all those split rails that went for wedding presents. Sniff I miss Robin too she is so sweet.

Colleen said...

I'm glad you finally got one for yourself, and I bet the seams on that one weren't all feathered stitched!

jillquilts said...

That's too funny! Thankfully, I don't have any friends or the ones that I have are already married so I don't have this issue! :)