Monday, May 5, 2008

On a Fabric Shopping Mission

How is it I can stand amongst fabric for hours at a crack and never have it dawn on me that I absolutley need something to progress on a quilt until it's almost too late? This morning I decided to toss my Moda U quilt and my Snapshots quilt into my backpack to take with me after work to buy the remaining fabrics needed.

It's a good thing I knew what I was after because it was maybe 5-8 minutes prior to closing. I bought a nice, wide backing fabric for Shell & Miel's wedding quilt. It's tan, it will work ok with the quilt top. I picked up border and binding which I chose to be the same. Then I picked up the white dot fabric with a blue flange for pillow cases and the tan dot fabric to use for pillow shams. I also got a green fabric for the binding on the Moda Quilt.

When I got home I was off and running but not before Mike 'cooked.' He ran to El Matador to get us Enchilada's since it was cinco de mayo. The quilt is supposed to finish out at 93 x 111. My frame is 92" wide. Sooo, what to do, what to do? Well...common sense says, take it to be quilted. Pocket book says...forget about it, put it on your frame. Rationale says...what if you put borders on the top, bottom and ONE side? If I load the quilt so that it's now 86 x 111 and I quilt into the middle of the last row of blocks, I should be able to remove it from the frame when I'm done and then zig zag stitch a strip of batting and then attach the border and attach the backing. Then I can sit at my table and finish out the stippling of this approximately 12" x 111" area.

I'm not nuts...I really think it's going to work.

So you can all stop staring at me with your mouths hanging open and should it not work, don't all chime in with "I told you so!!" I'm being adventurous! I know there's a book out there about Quilting in Thirds, I'm guessing this idea I have must be somewhat similar.

So, currently, three borders are on, the quilt top is loaded on the frame. The batting is cut to size and laid across one of the rollers and when I get home from work tomorrow night I will get the backing cut down so that I can get that loaded on the frame. Then, I'll be ready to go since my machine is clean and my bobbins are wound.


Any comments on my insanity?


15 comments:

Suzan said...

Well, good luck 'cause I think you are gonna need it! It certainly sounds like you know what you are doing so let us know how it all turns out. Hope it doesn't end up making your eye twitch again!

Suzan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Just wondering how you plan to deal with the backing...

Michelle said...

If anyone can do it, Jen, you can! I have faith in you, and if it doesn't work, you will think of something else. I have no fear you will conquer!
Michelle

Michelle said...

If anyone can do it, Jen, you can! I have faith in you, and if it doesn't work, you will think of something else. I have no fear you will conquer!
Michelle

Moneik said...

I'm sure it will work! You have a nack for getting things done the way you want them to work. I can't wait to see/hear how it turns out!

jillquilts said...

Funny thing is - we had a speaker at Guild last night and she talked about quilting and removing part of the batting on really big quilts. I think it will work!

Carol Van Rooy said...

I'd love to know how you got the words to circle at the bottom of your post.

I'm sure your idea will work... your genius after all.

I don't suppose you can lengthen the frame?!?

Carla said...

I have no doubt whatsoever that you can accomplish this. You're Rosie the Quilter and your motto is "I(We) Can Quilt It!", right?

Kristie said...

CRAZY LADY!!! I'm sure you will be able to do it just fine but man it sounds like alot of work. You will have to take photos as you go along, because I want to see how this is done! Good Luck! I'm sure you will have it done in no time at all, you are a wiz when it comes to these things.
Kristie

vtquilter said...

Jen,
sounds like 'quilt as you go'.Check out this website for some tips, I haven't tried it yet but plan to in the future. http://www.secretsof.com/content/624. Welshquilter also has a tutorial on this....http://welshquilter.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html.
Hope that helps.. and no, I don't think you are crazy, just practical!

Karen said...

Jen,
Check quiltuniversity.com and search the commons area for quilting by thirds. One of the instructors, Carol Miller, has put a wonderful explaination on the site.
It was so much fun at the ESA retreat to watch you youngsters dancing late in the evening. It made me want to join in.

Connie said...

Document this with some photos!!! As they say "this I gotta see!!!!"

Trish said...

I think it will work, my first quilt was a "quilt as you go" and it was the same idea. I would leave an unquilted area of at least two inches on the edge without the border. That will give you more room to work when you attach the batting, border and backing. Good Luck!

quiltin cntrygrl said...

I have faith in you!! IF anyone can do it you can.. Oh wait I'm so late in catching up on posts that you already did.. YEAH

Heather