Thursday, May 15, 2008

Quilting in Parts

When I last left off with the Snapshots quilt it was to finish at 93 x 111. Since my frame is 92" wide I had to figure out a way to get this quilt done. I left a border off; leaving the quilt top 87 x 111. I cut the backing down so that it would be aboule 84 inches wide. The batting was about 80 inches wide. I stippled the whole top staying about 6 inches short from the right side which is the side I left the border off of. When I was finished quilting I removed it from the frame.

Tonight I pulled back the backing and batting layer and sewed the border on. No problems there. Next I pulled the batting and top back and sewed on the backing strip. No problems there either. Then, I pulled the quilt top and quilt backing aside and zig-zagged the batting strip on using my stitch in the ditch foot. I made the zig zag as wide and as long as my machine would allow. I butted one edge of the batting up to the stitch in the ditch guide and then butted the strip of batting up to the other side of the stitch in the ditch guide and zig-zagged them. I've used this method of joining batting for quite some time. With frame quilting there's always long strips of batting left over. Piece enough of them together and you have a pretty healthy size of batting left over. Sometimes I use them of baby quilts or smaller craft projects. Once it's quilted, you'd never know.

Now I straightened out all three layers. At this point I should have basted the unquilted parts with saftey pins or my basting gun. I uh...didn't do that. I know I should have, it would have gone easier but I just didn't have it in me! So, should you try this, I really recommend taking the time to do the basting. I also should have gone to my Mom's house to do the remaining quilting. She's got this fantastic new table that has a LOT of room to the left of the needle. My plastic tables are also at her house, I could have put one or two of them in front of the machine to take the weight of the quilt. Instead I opted like an idiot to struggle.

I had some machine tension issues right off the bat. This has nothing to do with the way I was quilting. I'm not so sure why I had these issues, nothing I did corrected it. I wish I would have taken pictures so that someone could have explained my problem to me. I'm not a bobbin case tension adjustor. I've never done it. My top thread was getting all weird and ending up on the back in gobs. I opened everything up, cleaned it all, re-threaded and it continued to happen. Then out of no where it stopped. There must have been a thread caught somewhere along the line and it worked it's way out and then all was good with the world.

I stippled and I had problems with the weight of the quilt...but I knew that would happen. I didn't baste so I have a few puckers on the back. But, not bad enough to rip it all out. Once it's washed and dried a few times you'll never know they were there.

It was easy enough to do the quilt this way. I feel very liberated! I succeeded. I found a way to use my own quilting set up, without purchasing something additional and quilted a quilt that was larger than it.

I didn't take pictures, I know you all wanted me to. But there was nothing really to take pictures of that would have showed anything.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I KNEW you could do it!
Love,
Michelle

Moneik said...

I'm sure it looks awesome! I knew you'd find a way to get it done.

Michelle said...

You know Jen, your mom DOES have a fantastic new table, but if you were to get yourself one, I know a handsome guy named Louie who would be more than happy to come fix a table for you too! I bet we could even bring what we need on a motorcyle!

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Wow your so awesome Jen!!

HEather